Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Justin,

Can you think of ways that you might engage your advisory board members beyond those posted in the Forum?

R. Roehrich

I would create a survey for the board members to complete using your checklist under Evaluating Effectiveness in Module 3. I would present the evaluator with the following: list of board members' names, addresses, and phone numbers, list of college documents/orientation information given to the board prior to and during meetings, copy of board's agenda/minutes (which includes members present and contributions), internship and placement documentation, (where appropriate with a board member's contribution), evaluations from board members, students and staff, student exit interviews, and a copy of the accreditation standards from COE and state regulations regarding board requirements. Then I would create a summary of the results based on the surveys. All of this documentation would be compiled into a notebook.

Joyce,

This is a well thought-out and comprehensive approach and you've covered all the elements to provide a strong pattern of evidence.

Good work!

I would include member's participation to meetings as well as other school activities. I think that their involvement would show their commitment to the board and to the institution.

Syndia,

I agree, but be sure you have an objective way to assess their contributions in addition to their recognizing their attendance at meetings.

R. Roehrich

1. Attendance at meetings (assessed through the use of sign-in sheets and meeting minutes);
2. Number of members and their expertise is appropriate to the programs offered (resumes);
3. Participation in curriculum/textbook reviews and equipment compatibility with industry standards (comment forms and documentation of revisions);
4. Recognition through awards (Certificate of Recognition/Appreciation with presentations covered in local newspapers);
5. Longevity of members (frequency of solicitations for new members);
and 6. Documented follow-up and continued contact at times other than scheduled meetings (correspondence sent and received).

Dr. Stover:

Excellent!

What type of interview process do you use to identify and select potential members, beyond their resumes?

Does your faculty participate in the advisory board meetings? How do they receive input to the textbook selection process?

Do advisory board members attend graduation and/or other ceremonies conducted at the school?

Are members invited to speak to classes within their specialty areas?

Does your follow-up include how their suggestions were or were not implemented?

R. Roehrich

I use a survey form attendees fill out at the end of each meeting to assess effectiveness and implement new ideas. As far as atendance, I make sure that all members have the other memebers information so they can contact each other. Once I cancelled a meeting because the employers that showed up did not outnumbered the rest of the members, which is an accrediting requirement for our school, and so now memebers call each other to make sure they are coming.

From a previous forum discussion with Dr. Roehrich I discovered that sometimes attendance isn't necessarily defined as sitting in a chair in the room at the same time as other board members. In the future, when an advisory board member is not physically attending meeting - like Linda Vetter's commentary of invitations and follow-up phone call reminders, and even communicating to the board member their valued input and the school's desire for their attendance - I may fax meeting agendas ahead of the meeting, and let them know if they can't physically attend, they should communicate that back to the chairperson, so we could either arrange an internet or phone conference with them, or at the very least send them a copy of the meeting minutes and items we are seeking their input and/or vote on.

Randall,

Your mention of communicating in advance with your board raised a question; have you asked your members what is their preferred way of receiving notifications of board meetings? This can be tactfully handled by asking the question in an open forum at one of your meetings, which could then lead to a question about the type of “technology” they're most comfortable with and how they might be brought into a meeting if they can't physically attend. I would also support your position that you're preferred way to meet is face-to-face, but on occasion their virtual presence would be acceptable if circumstances prevent them from physically attending. The later is somewhat of a loaded question, you don't want them looking for a reason not to attend. I do like your strategy for getting their input and/or a vote if they're absent.

R. Roehrich

I always keep my advisory board meeting on track, on time and serve wonderful food and beverages. Keep the mood light and fun, but get down to business.

Sounds like you have the process down. The key to remember is that the meeting should be business focused and not give the members the impression they are wasting their time.

Is teh governing board making decisions that further the growth and stability of the school? this is what I would look at.
there is a maintenance aspect to boards as a requirment for accreditation and there is the aspect of effectiveness and really getting the school some help wither through advice or participation. Does the board do these two things?

Cynthia,

Too often advisory boards are used as "window dressing" for accreditation purposes, consequently schools that use them this way miss the value and opportunity of an effective board. Your two points are a true litmus test of a board's effectiveness.

R. Roehrich

Accountabilities
1. How well (quantity,quality)did the Board do in providing ideas, concepts, and recommendations.

2. How many did we use, not use, put off until we have more information at a later date?

Assess
Should be evaluated by the results of the implementation of the Board's recommendations.
by: a.benefit to school
b.ease of implementation
c.lead to other discoveries to be
assessed or decisions made.

Wayne

P.S. Dr. Roehrich,
Did you receive the answer to a discussion question I submitted earlier? I referenced B.F. Skinner and his Reinforcement Theory but forgot to sign my name.

The advisory board meeting is notified one month in advance of the meeting date with an additional reminder one week prior to obtain a firm commitment. The location and format remains consistent. 30 minutes is allowed for a prearranged meal and social exchange. Small gifts with the company logo are at place for each advisory board member. 1 to 1-1/2 hours are allowed for minutes review and agenda-driven business. Relevant materials are distributed and involved operations personnel are invited to present pertinent information. Usually the professionals are acquainted with one another and the format lends enough structure for a relaxed and respectful exchange of ideas. The feedback I have received from board members supports the format and venue; the feedback from operations of the board's input supports the content value of the board's suggestions.

Judy,

Thank you for this comprehensive reply. You have answered the questions I raised in Forum 2. It appears you have your advisory well positioned to provide you with valuable feedback.

R. Roehrich

After finishing this module I can see that there are many areas that we could improve our management of our advisory board. While the meetings that we've had have been productive, I can see where better management would take our meetings to a higher level.

We did establish some expectations when we first assembled our advisory board, but I see that we were not as formal with those expectations as we could have been. For example, I can see how formally establishing expectations concerning attendance would help us.

We also can improve our welcome package and orientation materials. While many of our board members were already familiar with our school and its management when we selected them, I can definitely see where, again, formalizing this process would be beneficial. In the future, I will be very careful to prepare a comprehensive welcome package for our new members.

The one area that I think we have been most successful in our management is in our organization of meetings. We are always careful to prepare a detailed agenda so that we can stay on time and be respectful of our members' time. We take detailed notes and minutes and circulate them in a timely manner.

We have been able to host at least two advisory board meetings per program per year. Our attendance could definitely improve as well as the consistency of our members.

We are currently working on developing ways to maintain key people in our advisory board membership through getting them involved in school activities when there are no advisory board meetings in the quarter. I am open to learning more strategies to better improve attendance and membership composition for our advisory board.

I would include the minutes of past board meetings and analyze how effective we have been at implementing the directives from our board members.

Sign In to comment