Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ideal Student?

Taking into consideration that my institution is so specific,makeup and hairstyling for the media and entertainment industries and without trying to just accept the $$ of the student, how would you streamline whether the candidate is "ideal". During the interview process, specific questions are asked and the students that come to our school truly believe that this industry is for them. In order to enhance the retention program and placement program, what questions could be asked to sift through prospective students' potential?

Really good question, Jennifer. You might start by looking at the traits that are similar to successful grads and people in the field. They often cross age, gender and other demographics. You might also consider some kind of self assessment to determine how much the applicant knows about the field and what they will be doing.Whether they know a lot or a little it is an opportunity for further clarification. Best wishes, Susan

How many times do you enroll? Are you able to have a program so that the prospective candidate who shows the potential after the interview can spend some time with you to see how they perform before you finally decide?

Interesting point, Suchas. Some schools we know have an extensive orientation period. During this time the student has a chance to learn what it is like to be a successful student and more about the career. The school has the chance to determine if the student will be successful in school. No fee is paid until after the orientation period. Obviously student retention is high at that school. Best wishes, Susan

We spend alot of time and money recruiting and in our acceptance process. The evaluation of every student starts at the front door. Our acceptance committee reviews-application, test scores, speaks with Admissions, etc... All of this to find the ideal student.

Great Tina. When you enroll a student likely to succeed everyone wins. It does start at admissions, as you pointed out. It's about the student's credentials and also expectations. And whether there is a fit. It's also about how knowledgable the student is about the school, what it's like to be in class, and what the eventual job will be like. Takes a lot of time but in the end helps raise retention and completion rates and student satisfaction. Best wishes, Susan

Ideal student! most of the students I would like to have at my school, are in the local community college it's less expensive, and they had the necessary education to pass entrance exam. So my ideal student is someone is simply is willing to pay and work hard, because of the regulatory guideline retention and completion are absolutely necessary.

Hi Margaret, Interesting observation. The community college students cover a broad range of demographics. Perhaps you can look at each program you offer. What is the core commonality students share with each different program. These are qualities that are beyond age, gender, background. For example, often massage therapy applicants usually say they are good with their hands and like to help people. Perhaps people applying for allied health say they always wanted to be in the medical field. There may be core commonalities to look for in addition to passing the admissions requirements. Thanks, Susan

I did a statistical analysis comparing entry scores and ages of successful grads (completed, licensed) with those who didn't complete or pass their exams and license. We found that we had the entry-level exam score set too low (no one was successful at that level) and raised it to where there had been some completions. There was no correlation at all with age, except that if the admissions test score was low, the student was more likely to be successful if they were in late 30's or older. We are now looking at more of an aptitude and character screening to see if the prospective student has skills and values important to the field: dependability, ability to adapt to needs of client, etc.
I think our location hurts us. We are on the west side of town, and east-enders often simply say "that's too far." East enders have better demographics to support interest in our field and potential for self-pay of school expenses, but most of our students are West end. The best clinical sites and jobs are east end, and moving further east. I really want to push our top management in this direction, but have no actual control over it.

denise,
Interesting. Have you thought of asking your students and alumni what they think helps to determine the ideal successful student? They may give you clues so you don't have to take stabs at it in the dark. Interesting about your demographics and east/west issues. Maybe it is about researching the job needs in your area of town and then matching them to your demographics. Or see what training people in your area want and how far they will travel or move for a job. Always a challenge. Treated like a puzzle you can find amazing results. thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment