Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Outcomes

One key area that I have found that seem to imporve student outcomes retention and placement is to get student involved early on in their professional organization. Has anyone else seem similar result?

Perfect point Mark. Many professional organizations have special rate student memberships. We hear that schools often pay the membership fee to get students involved early. Hopefully the organization will offer meaningful activities and materials so the student gets a feel for what it is like in the workplace. We feel that the more the student understands the workplace the more likely s/he will get there.
Best wishes, Susan

We haven't done this, but it seems like a great idea. We have a Medial Assistant Program, and their is a Student Membership available through the Certification Testing body. I think we will provide those memberships to our students.

Thanks for the idea!

HI Richard
It's amazing how serious and professional a student can become when they suddenly have some kind of professional affiliation or designation. Lots of other ways to give a professional in the job already feeling. It impacts a great deal on retention. Thanks, Susan

Yes..We have. Our students love the access it gives them to professionals who actually work in the field. These organizations have members from entry level to upper management; who gladly mentor the students. They are such a vaulable asset - not only from an educational but a networking opportunity for our students!

Interesting, Tina. It's great to provide the opportunity for students to experience the real workplace and communicate with various levels of employment. Gives them a chance to see where they start and how they can get to the next level. Great, Susan

It is true if you can explain to student to participate in a professional organization is a good for they and another point if make a job fair we make 1 every 6 months.

Good points, Jorge. When students participate in professional organizations they begin to feel like the professional. It helps them transition from being a student to the responsibilities and pride of having a job. Membership in orgnizations is also something they can put on their resumes. It indicates a seriousness about what they are going. Best wishes, Susan

We've seen great outcomes as a result of this strategy. We engage our students early on in there preparation for the certification and job placement. Our Career Developer works very closely with the student to ensure that their success in the program will dictate how successful they will be in their job search.

Thanks Nadine, We also believe that placement activities need to start very early on - in fact at the same time of the first class! Students get overwhelmed by everything when going to school. They need to learn employment skills just like every other new skill. So the earlier the better. And the results is a very successful job search and placement. Thanks, Susan

A good way to have student interested is involving them with their professional organizations for example, a health career institution can arrange visits to clinics.

We agree, Miguel. Students have to get involved with the school, other students, and staff. And most certainly with professional associations and visits to clinics. That's the reason most allied health programs include externships at clinic sites. It gives students real-world experience so important for success. Thanks, Susan

Unfortunately, my school is not linked with any programs like this. I honestly wouldnt even know where to begin. I am from a massage school, and if the student is still in learning stages, its difficult to really work in the field, due to a lack of qualifications.

Can anyone recommend any of these types of work groups, or where I can find any type of research links about it?

I would love to implement this in my school and get a type of work study together, while following state laws.

Currently what we do is treat clinic time as a professional time, where the students are graded based on professionalism, mannerisms, set-up, and actual hands-on work. However, it does lack a truly professional feel to it, since clients are grouped together and it is being done at once with an instructor overseeing and giving feedback (where necessary).

Can anyone help with more creative ideas? I'd really love to do something more for the students.

Thank you so much!

Kristen,

Hi Kristen, Many massage schools run their clinics as spas. Students are able to practice every role including, reception, clerical and admin tasks, marketing, and of course practice as a therapist. The student might also work in the spa store if there is one. The goal is to create a real environment so the grad is prepared for any work opportunity. Alumni can assist too. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Student services play a big role and I agree having them involved at an early stage will help them prepare better and be sucessful.

Maryolaine,

We agree. Student services are what get the student through school and create a satisfying experience. Many students aren't even aware of the services offered to them that they are paying for in their tuition. The difference is success or failure and getting a job or not is due a great deal to the hand-holding you provide. The question is - do all students know about the services offered and do they benefit? And if not, why not? Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I believe one of the most effective ways to improve student outcomes is by having dynamic classes. This means that the instructor needs to be able to deliver a very dynamic class every day. Students who are engaged will never withdraw. They have a purpose to come and get their education. Instructor need to understand today’s students and use technology to engage the student day in and day out. I have delivered several in-service workshops to my instructor on how to use technology in the classroom to motivate and have our student complete their career choice.

Mario,
We totally agree. Many students think their teachers are the school. So instructors have to be great.Great instructors also integrate job skills exercises and awareness into their lesson plans every day! That means in addition to theory and skills, students hear why they are learning what they are, how it is used on the job, and anecdotes about the world of work. You will probably have to coach many teachers to do this. You can hold best practices sessions with teachers. They can learn from each other how integrating placement and job awareness into the classroom is done. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I agree - the key is to get the class connected from day one so they start supporting each other as well in finishing the program. The staff can do a lot to help with student support,but sometimes the most helpful motivation and support is from their peers.

Cassandra,
Good points. It is important to get each class comfortable with each other. It makes it easier for them to form study groups, help each other with rides and child care and more. Alumni really help as well. These are satisfied grads who have been in the students' shoes and have overcome difficulties. They know the problems and solutions and are very credible. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment