Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dissecting the importance of SMART goals

Describe the importance of the "M" in SMART goals?

it is crucial that goals be measurable in order to track progress.

Definitely, Frank! It's so important to have goals that can demonstrate what has been achieved and where an individual can improve. How do you make certain that the goals you set for yourself are measurable?

Often people talk in ways that don't define the outcome they want. I want to have more money, I want people to listen to me or I would like to be thinner, are all examples of this. Without putting a measurable target on your goal, you can not come up with a strategy to get there or know when you have succeeded which is very discouraging.
A measurable outcome to "having people listen to me" might be, "I want my employees to respond to an email and follow up to my questions." If I created this goal, I would include the following statement in my email (strategy), "please respond when you have completed this step and let me know the outcome" (I know I have succeeded.)

I get the feeling that this is something that you strive to do, Christine. That's great! Talking about goals is great, but they take on a greater importance when there is a strategy attached. Thank you for sharing your example and keep upnthe great work.

If a goal is not measurable, how would you ever know if you have accomplished the goal? Measurable goals allow you to track both the progress and the accomplishments. Having documented success is motivating.

Excellent observation, Melissa. I get the sense that you appreciate having benchmarks or milestones to measure your progress. Having documentation of your success can definitely be a motivator and if you've fallen short, you have a clear picture of what you need to do to achieve that goal.

I agree with you on this. If we set goals then we must have a standard to measure them by, less we go through life aimlessly.

Julie, that's a great point. It sounds like you prefer to have goals as well as different action steps to go along with them.

Dr. Jean Norris

Measurable provides the the foundation for assessing when you actually reach the goal you have set for yourself. Without the measurable component, it will be difficult to attain your entire goal and will be deemed incomplete. All five components must be incorporated in order to make it a SMART goal.

Measurable goals are attained in a systematic way. In the same way that research is statistically shown to be significant (or not) with the standard deviation, we must illustrate our goals in a way that can be verified.

Very interesting Stacey. Could you provide a specific example of how you illustrate goals in a way that can be verified in your role?

The M in SMART is important because it measures the progress you make. The M is your measurable objective,it keeps you on track, motivated and focused on your goal.

Pamela, Great! You seem to have experience with this, will you share?
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment