Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being decisive when making a decision after all signicant team member have added their input. If someone makes a hasty decision before consultation with key team member then they have displayed a lack of judgment and should not be observed as a productive leader. Individuals who value their entry level employees will learn immeasurable knowledge about the functionality of their organization. Employee make organization viable leader are solely there to steer and corral that which is all ready working smoothly.

Henry ,

I think you have identified a real important point. Involving people at various levels in the decision making process often results in very sound decisions. Folks closest to students tend to have a keen understanding that is often overlooked. Do you have an example you can share of a time you have done this?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I agree with many of the other posts. An effective and successful decision follows a detailed process to gather information, evaluate the data gathered, prioritize goals, create action steps based on the priorities, ad implement the steps. This decision making process will be successful if it's inclusive and gathers information from multi-functional teams.

Jesus,

Do you have a good example of an effective (or ineffective) decision making process you have experienced recently?
Dr. Blake Faulkner

I think that an effective and successful decision has to involve the people that are directly affected so that they will be more willing to help implement the decision and less likely to oppose it. The decision should be made with ethics and profitability in mind, and also benefiting the majority of the people affected.

Cynthia,

Nicely done. Involving people involved operationally in executing upon a decision is a good practice where it is possible. Not only do they have better buy-in but also likely will provide insights that well help make a more informed decision. Do you have an example of a decision you have made recently where you included these elements in the decision making process?

Well an 'effective' decision should be objective- focusing on the intend goals. It has to be a reasonable and attainable goal and should fair out well in your final assessment

Ralph,

Good points Ralph. Sometimes it is easy to lose site of the main objective or goal.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I have always felt that what really constitutes an effective and successful decision is one that all members of a group can acknowledge and move forward with regardless of their previous position on the topic.
In addition to this,I also feel that an effective and successful decision is one in which you continuously look for ways to challenge that decision's validity. Often if I find that if I am able to overcome potential barriers that may challenge that decision, it is likely to be a successful one.

It is easy to make decisions when everyone you trust is either in complete agreement or disagreement. It is difficult to have to make the decision as a manager to be the final word, and still make the people whose ideas you did not choose feel appreciated and valid.

Christiana,

Agreed. Although I recently had an opportunity to spend some time with Dr. Gary Latham at the University of Toronto. Dr.Latham is one of the leading researchers in organizational psychology and he reiterated that what people truly strive for is to have a "voice" in the organization. That said his research showed that folks could live with the decision made as long as they know their voice was heard and their inputs were considered. Although people don't always agree with a decision, and may be disappointed, as long as you truly listen to their ideas and suggestions they will tend to respect you and continue to share ideas.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I would suggest that the process for defining and creating an effective and successful decision begins long before the actual decision making process has begun by making sure that all parties involved have a sense of ownership related to the topic to be discussed prior the the start of the process. Staff and colleagues with a vested interest in the decision making process and the outcome of that decision will be far more involved in the process, implementation and outcome then those who don't.

Miles,

Good point. Making sure all of the appropriate stakeholders are involved in the decision making process is essential to coming to the best decision and ensuring buy-in from all key stakeholders.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

An effective and successful decision as it relate to the class begin with all that was covered in this module. Must be trust and a system of togetherness for the greatest benefits. A collaborative effort began when the student is engaged for the first time with the school or there representative. The student must feel like the advisor truly cares about their future success.

Henry ,

Good point. In higher ed we have multiple stakeholders that are often impacted by our decisions and whom we need to keep in mind many times when we make decisions. Ultimately our primary stakeholders are our students and making decisions that are in the best interests of students and their growth and development is essential. However, because we also have responsibliites to employers, other students, and society as a whole, many times our decisions have to take into account how our decisions will ultimately impact these groups as well. Taking into account how a decision will impact all key stakeholders is an important part of sound decision making. Do you have an example of a tough decision you have had to make recently that required you to consider impact on multiple constituents?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I am in a Phychology class right now. It is helping me to let others share their opinions on decision making and taking their ideas and running with it. Being in a manager position and always having to make final decisions, I have improved much to know you have to involve others to help in effective and successful decisions.

Doris,

Do you have an example of a decision you have made recently through this collaborative process that led to an effective and successful decision?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I feel that to be effective in a decision where a panel or group is to be used its best to be of different approaches and/or opinions.

Decision making first of all needs to be made with a clear mind free from any and all bias opinions. As a group comes together they come representing themselves and therefore come with their own thoughts and ideas. You will always need a strong leader to be able to work through any differences of opinions that may arise while making a decision. If all come in with an open mind and not being closed minded the process of group decision making isn't too terribly that hard of a task. Being able to talk openly and discuss everyones views is in my opinion the number one most successful way to make everyone feel as if they are being heard and therefore will have a positive affect with the overall decision because every group member will feel their thoughts played a role in the decision making process.

Kathy,

Can you elaborate a bit on what constitutes an effective and successful decision?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Sign In to comment