Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Strategic Execution

After strategic thinking and planning, how do we make sure that "strategic execution" is carried out and successful?

David,

Good question. This is where the rubber hits the road. There is an outstanding book titled "Execution" written by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan that is perhaps one of the most influental books I have read that I suggest you read if you have an interest in learning more about the "secret sauce" of execution. A couple of key elements are clear responsibility and accountability for who is responsible for execution, recognition for execution, and ensuring the right people with the right skills are hired and assigned to execute the strategy. Another element is the old saying "you get what inspect not what you expect". Following through to track progress, key metrics/milestones, etc... are essential. Any other elements you see as essential to execution?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Authority is the underpinning of the execution as well as being the foundation of your Strategic Thinking plan. What level of authority you have over your department’s actions as well as how much cooperation you can expect from those who lead other departments, and ultimately how much support you can expect from your supervisors, these aspects determine not only the execution of the plan, but the very creation of the plan. I have been in situations where I have been giving a lot of support to initiate a plan, draw the outlines, and even begin to fill in the steps, but ultimately the project is dropped. I have also been in situations where a strategic plan is developed but ultimately never executed as this cuts across lines of authority between and even within departments. The hierarchy of the organization must be committed to developing and executing a long term plan in order to achieve strategic thinking.

That's the most difficult part. Your plan must involve specific people who are responsible for implementing specific tasks in a certain time frame with regular review of the tasks by managers

@johnestorge  you make a great point.  Follow up is key to the success of any department / company.  Inspect what you expect.  Thank you for sharing.

Sign In to comment