Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Customer First Service Versus Customer Service

Regarding your school's students and employers, what do you believe is the difference between "customer first service" and "customer service?"

Customer First would mean just that ... the customer comes first. Customer Service is part of Customer First and together make up what the school is all about. Our school's Mission Statement is: "To sucessfully prepare our graduates for new career opportunities." I take this to mean that we "educate" them and "guide" them toward correct career decisions. They are our customers and helping them first understand what they really want is our top priority.

Thanks, James, our student customers are top priority as are our employer customers - I would contend that we have to educate and guide them too regarding our students and programs, and how they are a match to employer needs.

Jay Hollowell
ML107

"Customer first service" would consider momentarily placing the immediate needs of a student before the fiscal goals of the school while trying to solve an issue regarding student dissatisfaction, or administration issues and the like.

"Customer Service" i would consider to be an overall environment of how we communicate with our students, and how our processes serve the educational needs of the student body.

In my opinion this statement suggests that the best customer service requires consideration of the customer needs first. In education, students retention, graduation and placement in their area of study is priority number one.

Hi Krystall! Thanks for your response. I think you have captured it; customer first service is specific and targeted, timely, and goes beyond the given expectation that a customer will get the core service; I think most of our institutions provide some form of customer service, but the "first" approach changes the emphasis a bit.

Jay Hollowell
Facilitator

I believe the difference is in being aware, always, that the students needs come first. From enrollment to graduation and then placement, customer first service should be consistent.

We have multiple customers in our business. First, there is the student customer and second the industry customer. Both are critical to our success. We should constantly be looking at how we can "serve" our customer and keep their needs at the forefront of everything we do. The difference is in the focus. Do you simply offer solutions or do you offer solutions that fit your specific customer?

Keep the focus positive with making sure the students are aware they are important and understand their needs

1. When it comes to service, people make the difference

2. Hearing is not the same as listening; in other words, receiving sounds is not the same as paying attention to them.

A study conducted in the United States and published in the book “Customer Loyalty: How to Earn It, How to Keep It” (Jill Griffin, Jossey-Bass, 2002) reported that 87% of customers feel that the companies they have contact with don’t listen to them good enough.

Customer first service is something a lot of places talk about but don't always deliver. All customers can't be lumped together. Someone else in this thread said "you have to listen" this is paramount. Not all customers are the same so we have to have the ability or freedom to adjust, adapt and assit in different ways to get the customer what they need or want.

Hi Gaird! Thanks so much for your comments. You raise an excellent point about not lumping customers together - each has an individual need even if the need is similar across the board. In our venue, I think both students and employers are customers, even our colleagues are customers in their own way - all needing a different focus, approach, and, if an issue exists, a different resolution.

Jay Hollowell
ML139 Facilitator

There is a premise that must be taken into account when addressing customers or service and is the first impression, so many universities have a first impression's director, there is the further development of the relationship with the client or student in this case.

As I agree with those that said that "you need to listen" it doesn't always entail what they are saying. Sometimes it also includes on the things that they are saying in a non verbal manner.

Most of the time if you put yourself in the customers shoes and think what it is that you do and do not like most of the time most have the same point of view.

I find that the first impression will be long lasting, but it does not stop there it needs to be maintained. The best way is simply being genuine about your desire to assist, help and resolve their problems.

Thanks Felicia,

I find too that body language speaks volumes and often conveys a different message than the verbal response. I think observation is key to hone in on what someone is really saying and the genuinely responding. As you imply, listening is a skill and a proactive process, not necessarily an instinct or natural ability!

Thanks for your comments,

Jay Hollowell
ML139 Facilitator

Customer first service mean I have to sevice customer imediately.

Students will have a better attitude if they are appreciated

Define which is the most impotant to servic for student first.

Everyone is a customer. Without them we don't have a viable business. There are external customers and internal customers. Each needs to be valued and given the attention and focus that speaks to their being the number one priority to being satisfied.

Students also come first in our school. We are there to provide a service to them and do it well. When issues do arise, I am glad to say the steps our school has in place are effective in resolving them.

Sign In to comment