Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leaning on others

When I am feeling stressed about work I call my friends that are in the same position as I am but at other campuses. We spend a few minutes venting over the phone or schedule a lunch meeting to vent and regroup. It helps me to talk about the issue and not feel like I am the only one going through it. I am grateful to have these people as a source of support.

Lindsey,
It is good to have a friend you can vent with for a short time. It is also great to focus on some positive talk. When you leave after laughing and enjoying yourself will reenergize you for the next challenge.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I must agree with Lindsey with her post. I also feel fortunate to have friends to "safely" vent to. It gives me a sense of balance and encouragement. I try not dwell on things for very long because I don't want to end up on the hamster wheel going no where fast and feeling exhausted.

Maryrose,
Friends are important. It is a way of having someone to talk too when you are looking for the sounding board of a trusted friend. Sometimes I know that the old saying about "Where their is a good man their is a good woman behind him". My wife has been my sounding board for over 20 years. Trusted-Honest-Ethical

Dr. Gary Carlson

Here I am a day before Thanksgiving at work and because of the slowness of the business, find myself reflecting on how an amazing support group I have. I have a great spouse, amazing son, and at work I work with an amazing team. When goals are not being met, being able to strategize and brainstorm alternative solutions with my peers, allows me to manage stress. Yes, the goal does not change, however the journey towards improvements becomes achievable because I am not alone. To Lindsey's point sometimes we vent, sometimes we laugh, and sometimes we just have to accept that there are some things we cannot change. One of the best stress relievers is just having the right company to do some of the stress exercises mentioned in these lessons.

Ludin,
You are a lucky person! Never take for granted the wealth of relationships you have and let them know how much you care. People don't care about what you know until they know that you care.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day!

Dr. Gary Carlson

I rely on coworkers for support as well. There is a select few that I go to when I just want to be heard and need a quick pick-me-up. I do, however; try not to engage into a lot of negative gossip. It only leads to even more negativity and that rarely leads to a solution.

Nicole,
Positive self-talk is key to success. A good book on this is by Lou Tice "Positive Self-Talk".

Dr. Gary Carlson

When I feel stressed, I call friends too and talk about what is going on, by doing this it reduces my stress level

Kescia,
It is always good to have an outlet. Remember there is a need for some balance in your life with exercise, mental activity, healthy living and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Leaning on others who share the same job description works well as a stress buster. Sharing your frustrations with a colleague who does the same type of work is fulfilling and comforting because he or she can empathize with you and relate to you. Many times problems can be solved because the other person may be undergoing the same problem and he or she can come forth with true and tried remedy to solve the problem and thus reduce your stress.

Anita,
Partnership with your colleagues is a great practice. This inspires team work. It is always good when you can work in a work environment of trust.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I also only go to a select few coworkers for support, it is vital for me to get off to a great start each day.

Timothy,

People who care and support your efforts are important in the work place. When we have people we can trust with high integrity helps us succeed with good decisions.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment