Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Gary and course participants.

Yes, I do agree that it is possible to plan for a crisis situation; and, this course experience demonstrates helpful, strategic tools to succeed. I thought about the events in the world this year (2013) while reading the course text online. President Obama comes to mind when thinking about the steps suggested on managing crisis in our professional and personal lives. In particular, I believe that he serves as a masterful leader, who demonstrates the skill of effective and timely communication to the world when crisis hits. His public appearances clearly model the practice of sharing factual information and compassion for all involved.

The forms, tips and examples in this course are extremely valuable tools for all levels of supervision. I plan to share my learning experience with senior managers I know; and, certainly encourage them to become proactive in the practice of planning for a crisis situation in their organizations.
Best regards, Barb 7-10-13

Dr. Barbara M.,
I am very happy you enjoyed the course. It is always great to hear someone who is going to utilize the techniques described by the course. Our Presidents even with great stress relief practices show the stress physically after a few years in office. This is a great example of how stress can affect our lives if not kept in check.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I find through this course I have lacking factual communication and response plans that are written, and clearly accessible for other supervisors and faculty to go to if and when confronted. Certain situations can have procedures in place and communications processes in place, while other unforseen situations can certainly have guidelines in place on how other supervisors and faculty can respond.

It is the clear knowledge of employees to know where they can go to get the information and plans that have been prepared, so they have some clear guidelines how to react.

It can not be under the assumption that the "boss" or "director" is the only person who can implement an action, certainly on a small secondary post education campus such as the one I direct.

Earl,
A plan is important for preparing for a crisis but it is also great for team building. A crisis plan needs to be transparent and consistent with all employeees. The plan should be revisited on a regular basis because of new employee training and updates needed. Your concern for your employees is evident will make this process a pleasure and necessity.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree it is possible to plan for a crisis situation. I live in the Dallas Texas area and we know that we are in the tornado belt here. We have precautions set up on our campus just in case of an emergency situation. Just as with business you can't always foresee when the crisis might hit but you know it is possible, so having a plan of action in place will save time and energy later.

Darci,

Crisis plans not only prepare you for an unforeseen tragedy it also creates team an ownership within your employees. Your leadership gives a sense of caring and pride for your people. Keep in mind crisis can come in many forms. I also live in a tornado zone state but also have experienced other cirisis which may effect you day to day routines. The plan needs to be revisited on a perodic basis for updates and changes. This will keep everyone sensitive to the actions necessary if and when it ever comes.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree it is possible to plan for a crisis situation. There are things that we don't have have control over, however we do have control over how we will respond to them. By planning for a crisis, you have steps in place that allow you to work through and overcome such difficult situations. It allows us to continue to function and operate daily in our live and in our careers.

Marie,
Crisis are a matter of degree of the level it may affect you and your employees. It may not be possible to escape the crisis entirely but you may reduce the effect my your proactive plans. Your astute plan may save dollars and lives.

Dr. Gary Carlson

In my honest opinion I think that it is becoming increasingly hard to effectively prepare for a crisis. I think that a company can create game plans, redundancies and other sets of infrastructure to prevent catastrophic damage, but as technology evolves and information gets around faster, it is becoming harder to prepare for the unforeseen.

German,

Crisis planning is for what you can control and not for what you can't. Events that put you or your employees in jeopardy need attention to reduce the effects of the crisis, You can't prevent the catastrophe in some cases but you can soften the blow with a solid plan.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I think that you can absolutly plan for a crisis. Depending on the crisis of course, but it all goes into the training that you and your team have been given and know the expectations that the company you work for may have for you or the situation. There is always a structure or form to something and if you can rely on your supervisors (this could even be yourself) or an upline manager to help make swift and confident decisions that will only help in a crisis.

Harmony,
You are definitley on target. Crisis are crisis because they can't be determined whan and how they might happen. But the essentials of what is important is what we want to protect. Life or essential docuements should be considered. We can't protect everything such as property if the cirisis may be weather related or even terrorist focused. We need to plan for the worst and make plans to illeviate the impact as much as possible.. We have to be as adaptale during the crisis because none of our plans can be fullproof unless we can make decisions on the fly for some cases. Your attitude towards cirsis is correct and with taking a cisis serious you will do great in your plan.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I do believe the you can plan for a crisis. If the crisis is one that others have faced you can use that knowledge to make your own plan. If the crisis is one that has never happened to your knowledge, the planning could be quite difficult. I think one of the main problems with planning for crisis is that you never want to believe that it can happen to you. I have been wracking my brain for all the types of crisis scenarios that might happen in my workplace and for everyone I come up with I say but that is so unlikely to happen and I am sure my superiors have prepared a plan if it does. I wonder how I as a non management employee can make my own plans. Maybe my first step should be to work my way up the chain of command and see if a plan is in place.

Susanne,
Reducing as much as possible the impact by have an organized plan reduces the panic.

Dr. Gary Carlson

You can always plan but just know you will never have the exact scenario--ALL crisis come with you having to make quick but informative decisions.

Katrena,

You are correct with not ever having all the bases covered. But when you have a plan it gives you a head start. Plans should be revisited regularly for updates.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree that you can plan for any crisis, or at least have a plan as to how you will handle yourself in a crisis situation. Discussions relating to behavior in a crisis, to me, are just as important as discusssions in where crisis may happen. I believe that the true test of a leader is their ability to lead under pressure. If you staff or faculty see you freaking out, they will likely frreak out themselves; if your staff or faculty witnesses you maintianing your calm in a crisis, they will likely mirror that behavior.

James,
You are so right! We can put together on a plan that gives you a head start for a crisis. All plans should be revisited regularly. Being a leader takes your people through a crisis when they have faith and trust in your leadership.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Yes,you can have a plan in place but it is difficult to know exactly what crisis you will be facing in working in a school setting with so many different personalities and situations. As managers, I believe that you must have the ability to foresee situations before they escalate into crisis.

Desiree,

Having a plan in place helps others conform to the situation. But it takes leaders to adjust as needed for any situations that may arise not planned for in the cirisis.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment