Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Obstacles to Change!

What are the most apparent and non-apparent obstacles to change in the work place?

I believe that lack of communication is the most apparent and at times non apparent obsticle to change in the work place.

Silence without communication is not a good sign. People have opinions and we must give them the avenues to comment. By listening it gives us the opportunity to plan better. Our plan has to involve our stake holders both internal and external. If we are not hearing them we are taking chances.

I think it is fear of the unknown that makes people view change in a negative manner. I think a weekly Q & A newsletter addressing individual questions is a great way to keep communication open. This deveops sharing and trust. Also, a reward system as mentioned in the course, can eliminate the fear of reworks and re-learning and establish buy-in. When there is structural change this often will involve new processes, procdures, often new staff and management and can feel like a first day on a new job....so communication has to be there to eliminate the apprehension and fear so that work is not interrupted.

You are right with communication being the answer to many of the apprehensions of change. When we can lead with honesty and integrity it takes the sour taste out of the employees misgivings about the future.

The most apparent obstacle is resistance to change. A non-apparent obstacle is fear of the unknown. Both of these can and should be overcome with proper involvement of employees, communication, and follow up controls.

Obstacles to change are not usually an entire workforce. It is often from lack of knowledge of the rationale for change and how the team of employees can be part to the ownership in the change. Sometimes you will have a minority group who will be negative to the change no matter what you do. These can become saboteur to the process.It is important to stay positive with the process and keep all need to know stakeholders fully aware of all steps and process rationale.

I agree that the fear of the unknown can be a huge obstacle in Change; however I am a strong believer in communication, both positive and negative. I believe that as long as a manager is honest he will gain respect and acceptance to change thru open communication.

I believe that lack of communication is the most apparent obstacles when it comes to change. If changes just happens and no one knows why it is happeneing it makes people resist it more. The most non apparent can sometimes be the reason for the change. This is along the same lines with the lack of communication. If change occurs but no one understands or has explained the goal of the change then it will not be implmented correctly and it will again be met with resistance.

Communication is truly a key to a successful managment career. We often focus on our verbal and written communicate which is important but the communication that makes a huge difference is listening. Research has shown us the bigger part of good communication is to listen. It accounts for about 97%. Talented leaders are great listeners and can become proactive from it.

Some of the most apparent obstacles to change in the workplace are feelings of fear of the unknown, loss of control, and possible loss of job security. The non-apparent obstacles could potentially be the threat of not being trained for to adapt to the changes, anxiety, confused about the future of the organization, and most commonly unproductiveness.
Fearing the unknown potentially means, that the employee admits to his/herself that regardless of whether or not he/she perceives the change to be a good or “bad” there will be a sense of loss of what “was” and a strong fear of the unknown. Employees start to ask direct question about job security and the apparent loss of control to influence change. These are difficult hurdles to overcome without the right communication strategy.

The non-apparent obstacles of not receiving additional training, anxiety and decrease in productivity can easily overlooked. The leader responsible for ensuring that the change transpires could potentially be looking for the more apparent signs because that are easier to identify, thus require a quicker response. Non-apparent obstacle can potential take more time to address because these obstacle are not a noticeable.

When change is necessary people often may not see it from the same perspective. Our best efforts need to be focused on how we can have our team accept the ownership. By allowing the transfer of ownership over to the stakeholders everyone will work towards a positive outcome.

Lack of resources. Our curriculum is new, and we are having some difficulty putting it into practices because of a lack of funds. Other obstacles include the lack of efficient commucation between departments, or between management and suborninates.

jerry ,
Team and communication between departments is key to the success of an organization. These accomplishments don't cost much. It is more about process and organization to have these things happen.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I currently work in a school where communication is at a very low level. I see the morale of both instructors and students plummeting daily. Upper management calls all of the shots without input from any of the staff or student body. It is hard to offer any constructive suggestions when one is turned a deaf ear.

Laurel,

When you have the ability for freedom to make a change in behavior as long as you don't' break policy of your company you can make a difference. Team and calling attention to the necessity to have teamwork with positive talk and attitudes can make it a great place to work even with upper management. Doing your job well and telling others they are doing a job goes a long way.

Dr. Gary Carlson

In my institution, in addition to fear of the unknown, it is the barrage of change that the teams are constantly bombarded with that seem to cause the most resistance. It is difficult for folks to get their efforts behind an initiative when they believe this one too may turn into "the flavor of the day." As a leader, I am constantly challenged to place perspective and help them prioritize what is most impactful to our operation. It is imperative that we focus on our true purpose, what we truly do, which never really changes.

Maria,

You perspective is correct You can make the difference by coaching your people with the same understanding you have.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Your correct but its so hard to keep your mouth shut. I feel thats because as part of mangement team you want to fix everthing now.I need to set back & listen more then fix the problem with the staffs help.

Spencer,
87% of great communication comes from listening. Verbal is the response to great listening. You ability to assess and read between the lines of what they are saying is the key to achieving new and greater levels. Creating supportive behavior is through listening and using your coaching ability to move forward.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment