Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also feel that people are their own obstacle. Some people don't understand the necessity of change or they don't like change because they have to learn a different way of doing things. They may be afraid of failure due to not learning something in a timely manner, which can delay the change.

Jill,
Our minds tricks sometimes into the false comfort zone when a new practice or process is introduced. This comfort zone may keep us from improving by not giving the idea a chance.

Dr. Gary Carlson

We are currently undergoing a significant amount of change at the school I work for. We are adding an AAS Degree to our offerings. This will be the first degree we have offered in the state of Texas. We have also replaced the Campus Director here and today is his third day on the job. I am the outgoing Director. The most apparent obstacle I have seen is the employees continue to skirt the new director and seek out my advise when making decisions. I have engaged the new director on this issue and we have an open line of communication. Having said that, old habits are hard to break. I have filled the role of director three times to date so there is some concern that the "new guy" may not last.

Richard,
I believe the intention of all of us is to be successful. I am sure the new Director is hopeful to be successful at their new challenge. I have seen this transition issue before. I have been on both ends of tis situation. I always appreciated it when the past employee would refer all questions and direction to the new leader. We all need the opportunity to succeed. By your open communication you can advise but should never take on the roles you once had as a responsibility. What happens in the future is the building of a colleague of brain trust between the two of you for the future.

Dr. Gary Carlson

One of the most apparent obstacles is ones ability to embrace change. A non apparent obstacle is when someone is giving the perception that they are embracing the change when they are not.

William,
Those people can be very dangerous to the process. We often refer to them as saboteurs.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment