Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sudden changes on unit goals

When is it acceptable to make sudden changes on unit goals ?

Not very often, in my opinion. Obviously, business necessity may require sudden changes in unit goals, a la the American automobile industry. I am certain that unit goals changed suddenly as the economy and their financial situation worsened. But that is rare. If planning is sufficient and productivity is maintained, unit goals, particularly short term goals, should not need sudden change. What are your thoughts on the initial question in this Forum??

Goals should be written such that it would take an extreme change in circumstances to cause a sudden change. At an institute of higher education such an event could be a sudden and unexpected drop in enrollment. However if the original goals were written properly and were seen as valuable at the time they would probably still be worthwhile. In this case you may simply add a goal or reorganize the priorities.

The best time for a sudden change is when the company is either reacting (or being proactive) to a change in the environment. There are times when the company may need to quickly change focus based on an external factor that was not anticipated. For example, I live an area that was flooded two years ago. The company had to quickly change focus to disastory recovery and prevention. This was a hands on by everyone effort. Or, a change in the legal environment may be of great concern. If you product a product and the EPA comes out with new guidelines and you do not meet those guidelines, you will need to evaluate the situation and determine how to best use resources and meet the EPA guidelines.

It's not common to change focus but is necessary at times.

I agree once you have done your homework and came up with a plan of action,you should stick with it,add more goals to help you achieve it.

We have to be very carefull on any changes to the original plan because it can change ervything and the end result can be affected.

I agree completely. When changes are made it's important that we take the time to carefully explain the reasons for the change & answer any questions that have arisen.
Ryan

Changing unit goals sometimes cannot be avoided. The change in the economic climate, loss of demand, change in Administrative positions, loss of employee devoted to the unit goals, and on and on. I think the change should be accepted and even embraced sometimes, because the change is a reflection on the change in the environment. The employees should all be aware of possible changes at any level and at anytime. Change equals progress.

Completely agree George. I think the problem arises when changes are suddenly made without any preparation ahead of time or any real communication at the time of change. And when they are made & questions are asked, often the response of management is to respond negatively to those questions. All employees should be prepared to change, adapt, etc on a moment's notice, but they also need effective communication from their leaders.
Ryan

I only think it is acceptable to make sudden changes on unit goals if different factors change. The first thinf that comes to my mind is how a natural disaster can affect a company. For example, I am sure many companies are having to change their goals when they where hit by the tornadoes down south. What was a priority my no longer be at the top of the list. Changes should only be made for extreme purposes.

Absolutely right and I want to add something to this. Too often I have seen managers change goals, stating these "factor changes" as the reason. However, we need to make sure that priorities have truly shifted, as in the case of the tornadoes.

If we are feeling the need to constantly change goals due to "factors shifting" then we, as leaders, are not doing a good enough job of planning & foresight. Again, just jumping on what you said, Sarah, as this thought came to me. Thanks for the chance.
Ryan

You shouldn't unless it will benefit the ultimate goal. What if you change it and it doesn't help just give you more work to do. set reasonable goals and clear goals and you will be able to fulfill you goals.

Agreed, rapid changing of unit goals should only occur in extreme situations. Again, if this happens frequently your people will become disengaged & untrusting.
Ryan

The problem that I have seen with some organizations is that management dictates the goals without or against the input from team members. They then realize that the team is not behind the goals thereby making them unrealistic to accomplish so they suddenly change course. At this point they do not even give a reason for the change that makes any sense. More time planning and more input from their team would solve the need for sudden changes most of the time.

Sign In to comment