Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What you can control

A key to handling stress is letting go of the belief that you can control what students will do or not do.

I believe that to be true. You have to stop believing you can control your students on what they will or will not do. After all they are not your children and sometimes they rely on you
to give them that extra push.

I agree 100%. I think that is why I never become stressed when dealing w/ students...because i understand that.

Yes, this is true, although many let their conscious get in the way and this will cause you to become stressed. Understanding that accommodating everyone is almost impossible.

I've heard the saying "Don't sweat the small stuff and remember, it's all small stuff." I believe it's very true. We can always learn how to prevent stress and how to handle it better when it does occur.
VC

This is very true. You are NOT responsible for the behavior of others. You ARE responsible and accountable for your own behavior.
Although we try to influence students into making good decisions, it is ultimately up to them to choose their own paths.
Through experience I've learned that when students are making bad decisions, there comes a time to back off and let them learn from their mistakes...otherwise they might drag you down with them.

While you can not control what a student will or will not do; I believe it is the role of the instructor to set boundries and create accountability. If we are preparing them for the workforce, then we owe it to the students to give them the "real life" experience.

I have heard that saying as well. Good words to live by. I have also heard "Pick your battles". I have students that want repercussions for everything!

I used to personalize my students failures. Now I realize that they also need to take responsibility for their success and failures and not blame the later on others.

I work hard to make them successful but as the proverb indicates"You can drive a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink"

Realizing this has reduced my stress and in turn I focus on what I can control which is my circle of influence.

Wanda

Thank you for sharing this. What's frustrating as an instructor is attempting to practice this, but not receiving support from your superior when students run to them to complain or whine! We have such a problem with that occurring in our college.

of course we can not control 100%. on the other hand, motivation must be activated and nutured by us teachers and if successful, that will for sure influence, if not absolutely control, what and what not our students do.

One of my favorite sayings is "Work with what you have, not with what you don't have." I know that sometimes, I get bogged down in the minor things and lose site of the "big picture". I just need to step back, from time to time, and regain perspective and realize that I'm not God and that I can't control every single thing.

i teach cosmetology i try to give the students real life experanices i just don't understand why they enroll in school and just don't care and it seems theres nothing i can do they have so much potional

Sign In to comment