Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Directing your Career Path

I really enjoyed this lesson. I currently teach Digital Media Classes and I have a strong interest in video production. I went to college to become a film director, and I ended up teaching after graduation. I love teaching part time and I would love to incorporate some independent filmmaking in my career endeavors as well. This lesson really inspired me to become more aware of this desire and start to network with professionals in the field for more opportunities.

The most important lesson I learned today was that you do not have to move up laterally on the career ladder. You can move up, down or side to side in your career. So my plan for this year is to continue to teach Digital Media, while seeking out more opportunities in hands-on video production.

Erica,
so glad you were able to learn this important lesson. Way too often, we think the only way to "improve" in career is to move up, but as you said we live in the day of the career lattice, not the ladder.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree in the idea that you don't have to move up to become better at the job you have but to improve on the skills to make you better. I teach at a Tech school for automotive repair. I have applied and been denied a few promotions. Instead of getting discouraged I decided to simply become the best instructor I can. Since then I have been offered promotion but refused because in becoming a better instructor I enjoy it more.

Raymond,
Yes unfortunately we connect advancement in rank with success when in reality there are many ways to be successful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also liked this lesson. In my current role there is a lot of opportunity for conducting side projects related to student success and population trends. I've found the some extra youtube for learning the skills needed to accomplish those projects has helped increase my skill set and keep the position from becoming boring.

Ajani,
this is a great way to stay fresh in your skills & engaged with the various materials.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment