Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with Interuptions

I will often get emails requesting my attention throughout each day, which isn't a problem when I'm not teaching. However, when I am teaching a class I find that setting my OOF (Out of Office) attendant helps with avoiding these interruptions. I set my OOF to respond with a message stating I'm training all week and will respond to emails during lunch and between 4-5pm. Doing this has practically eliminated any problems I've had with people saying I wasn't responding to their emails within a reasonable amount of time. This allows me to focus on outside problems outside of the classroom.

Thank you, Vance. This is a great way to set expectations. For some reason, many folks think that once they send an email, the email becomes the recipient's top priority and deserves instant attention.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I find that if I don't answer my email in less than a hour the people then call to get their response causing even more interruptions.

Scott,

Nothing says you have to take the call. :) Leverage the flexibility voice mail in the same way you accumulate email. One of your peers suggested setting an out of office reply that set parameters establishing when you will return emails. It would be something like "Thank you for contactiong me. I will be replying to emails and voicemails after 3:00 PM today."

Jeffrey Schillinger

This does happen often and usually with the same few people. They feel like they need an immediate response or they will start calling. Sometimes it helps to respond back immediatley with...I will look into that and get back to you shortly.

Crystal,

"Not now" is usually better received than "no." I'll get back shortly is a good way to say "not now" without seeming too blunt.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree, saying no is blunt and many people take it as being disrespectful. I normally ask them if I can get back with them later.

Thomas,

"I can't right now" is a softer way of saying "no" and usually is taken well. Adding "maybe later" or "perhaps when I am finished with ...." can also be helpful.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment