Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Zombies: Pistol or Rifle?

Part of my daily instruction involves critiques of food. People react differently to critical remarks about their cooking. It can be taken quite personally if not delivered in the proper manner. I always make sure the feedback is future-focused: Pick issues that can be reworked in the future. For example, feedback might be used to help a student make better choices for flavors or plate presentation.

Michael
I agree with you on critiques of food. I am a Pastry Instructor and I deal a lot with food that has a very personal component to it. Students put their hearts into their work and when you critique their food they take it very personally. Some believe they have created the best fine dining plate you have ever seen and get upset when it is graded at a far lower level. I find it always beneficial to take the appropriate amount of time with each student when grading there food. This should not be a rushed event no matter how long it takes. Each student is better off with any feedback positive or negative as long as it is helpful to them. I always try to find something that they did well so that they can see that they are on the right track with the exercise and this I believe helps them become a better student.

Hi Michael,

This is a great point! I would imagine in the Culinary Arts, cooking is a true extention of of the chef! Feedback, as you suggest, should be future-focused and, equally, collaborative in nature.

Jay Hollowell

well, I am not a chef but i always tell my students that clipping an animal for surgery is an art form, not just clipping hair. The surgical clip and incision are all the client ever sees on their pet. So my students all must clip in straight even lines, no clipper burns, gentle scrubbing and I strive to have a perfect closure on every incision that I make. While this seems fairly simple, students usually have multiple critiques and explanations before they get it right. And the best feedback? THE CLIENT telling them that they appreciated how nicely the dogs were clipped for their surgical procedures!

Sign In to comment