Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presentation Anxiety

Presentation anxieties can sometimes make an incredible presentation a memorable nightmare

Nagib,
this is definitely true & I encourage all presenters to try & reduce the anxieties as much as is in our control

Dr. Ryan Meers

Presentation Anxiety can cause a lot of stress to an individual that can result in a medical problem.

Jacqueline,
this is definitely true & the more prepared we are, hopefully the more we can reduce this.

Dr. Ryan Meers

What is a good tip if you notice yourself sounding too nervous during your presentation? I notice that sometimes I start talking too fast.

Rebecca,
the best thing is to be aware & make yourself calm down & slow down.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have found that when people get nervous they start talking too fast and forget the entire reason for their presentation.

Cassandra,
this is very true & so the more we can manage our nerves the better off we will be.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I try to set a pace for myself from the start and stick to that, regardless of nerves.

I agree with Nagib and to insure that I do not fall prey to this situation I make sure that I prepare properly. I truly believe in the phrase that you practice the way you play. That is if you wish to enjoy success.

Stephen,
this is so true & no matter what gadgets or gimmicks you use, nothing can replace preparation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Dr. Meyers,

I agree that we have some control of our own anxiety level. I think of presenting, and teaching in general, as an acting performance. As much as we try to "be ourselves," public speaking requires us to perform, and we don't always want to reveal how we are really feeling inside. Excuding confidence can actually create confidence within us.

Richard,
this is a great point. The more confident we act, the more confident we feel to a certain point.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is so true! I try to talk to those in my audience as they walk in. I find it helps me familiarize myself with them, and they become more comfortable with me!

Knowing the material well is certainly of value. For those with a great deal of anxiety a first step could be a joint presentation where the topics are divided and well defined. The pressure to present for a long period of time is alleviated and there is the support of the other presenter.

Marsha,
this is a good suggestion & especially, as you said, if it's a longer presentation. Partnering with a veteran can be a great way to learn.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I always have a bit of anxiety as I prepare for my lectures. I am afraid students might ask something I don’t have an answer. What has helped me is to review the material the day before and right before my lecture. The more I do it, the more comfortable I feel.

You're not human if you don't have a little anxiety, especially presenting to audiences you are not familiar with. I would be lying if I told I never get nervous. I can remember when I was so introverted in high school that I hid under my desk when it came time to do presentations. Now I do presentations in front of many audiences regardless of the position they hold in the organization. I also try to be open with my students in relating my experiences of doing presentations to help them feel a little at ease.

Christine,
and I always tell my students that a little bit of nervousness is good as it provides energy during your presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, Anna. I have found that greeting the audience as they are arriving helps a great deal.It gives me a feel for them and shows I am ready to interact with them in a confident manner. Familiarizing calms most of the presentation anxiety I may be experiencing.

Sign In to comment