Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Coaching

Coaching is an opportunity to promote employees’ development to maximize their potential and assist employees in reaching their goals. It is an opportunity for mangers and direct reports to collaborate on attaining goals, motivating direct reports, and increasing job satisfaction. Managers coach their direct reports and create individual development plans to give structure to their direct reports' efforts to become exemplary performers or to prepare to take on new responsibilities. Coaching offers targeted learning experiences that accelerates growth.

Dr. Cheryl,
and I believe one of the keys to coaching is what you mention here, targeted learning experiences. The coaching conversations must result in helping employees with their learning & development.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

i cocur it makes the employee feel like thier a part of a team that whats to grow and achive the same goals. It makes the team stronger and more responsable for thier actions as well

In my role, coaching is often required when a faculty member is not complying with the University expectations and delivering what we promise students we deliver. Although I enjoy working with faculty member and help them become better facilitators and meet expectations, sometimes I get push-back from that faculty. In one case, it seemed that he was offended that I spoke to him about what is required because he has more credentials than me. I hear the "I have been with this company for xx amount of year" statement that this is suppose to make a difference. Through those years, time changed and so has certain expectations. What do you do when you have a faculty member who has a superiority complex in which is makes it difficult to provide coaching opportunities?

Debra,
I would say you are then shifting to a performance expectations type of conversation at that point. Ultimately you are the boss & he/she must comply with the policies/regulations. He may have more experience, but you are the authority. This is a hard-nosed stance & not my favorite, but it can be necessary at times.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I like the idea of coaching, but I have to agree that when you get push back from an employee about coaching, it does seem punitive to switch it to a performance discussion.

I wonder how you address the change from last week I wanted to coach you, this week I need to address how your performance is being effected by this challenge. I wonder if an employee may feel punished because they did not wish to be coached.

Sign In to comment