Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evaluator vs. Coach

Sometimes it is easier for one to be the evaluator because it is not difficult to point out individual's poor performance. Being a coach is harder because one has to know how to communicate and listen in order to help others grow and improve.

Tu,
excellent point! The coaching role really does require more of us & we must be ready to step into it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Absolutely. This is the basis for the difference between managers and leaders. A manager directs a leader motivates and coaches.

Tim,
and the best situation is when you have a person who embodies both sets of skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In my personal experience, it takes someone who has earned the direct reports trust in order for him to be an effective coach. Otherwise, constructive coaching can easily be perceived as biting criticism. A relationship of trust can put things into context and the outcome will be successful.

Nathan,
very true. The trust & respect must be present for a coach to be effective.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. In order to effetively coach an employee, you have to have earned their respect in order for feedback to not be considered as criticism.

Jennifer, I totally agree, what I have found working with my team is that they are individuals that will do anything you ask them as long as you as their leader are up front and honest with them. They tend to be negative when promises are made to them and not kept, which I totally understand. As a leader it is very important to be honest with your people. This way they will come to you with any issue they have and what I have found it that when they come to you they will have a solution as well. Respect plays a big part in being leader; it is something that is earned.

Cissi ,
and that respect is often earned by demonstrating that we care & have their best interest in mind.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I actually have to disagree with that I can be an evaluator and a coach at the same time. I will coach them and point out there performance at the same time.

As well as being very careful how to word your ressponse when doing the coaching.

I agree it can be done at the same time, however, I like to keep them separate as coaching, in my opinion, is an area that I look at as positive and a way to develop my faculty. Evaluating, to me, is more of following up on the coaching areas that I didn't see the progress that I expected and is a more formal converstaion.

Patricia ,
I tend to agree with you & like to view the coaching as more of the professional development side of things. It's also good to make sure that all parties understand that coaching/development goals are not necessarily evaluated the same as performance goals.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find you cannot be a coach with our being an Evaluator. The reality is when you are coaching your also teaching. So you have to assess if what you have shown has made an impact or improved what ever the issue could possibly be.

Fernando,
this is a great comment: when you are coaching, you are also teaching. This is very true & we have to be focused on a learning agenda.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I could not agree more. Having someone try to coach you that has not been in your position or understand you day to day activities can be very frustrating.

Sign In to comment