Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Real Meaning of Diversity?

I would have to agree,not only cultural and ethnic differences but individual differences should be respected.I think you get much more out of individuals when they feel you care or understand their situations.

I believe as well that we have to treat and respect everyone the same. Just because they come from a different country and speak another language means with have to treat them any different. The may hold so great and refreshing ideas and we have to honor and respect that. Especially today in soceity that we have people from all over the world everyone has the right for an opportunity.

I would have to agree with this statement. We need to respect diversity, no matter what that diverse trait is. Whether it is color, gender, or disability, it needs to be respected.

Laura,

You are exactly correct! One of a manager’s primary responsibilities is to bring out the best in their team members by encouraging open dialog and respecting diversity. One way to drive consensus is to establish meeting norms so that everybody knows what to expect and understands that they will have the opportunity to have their opinions heard. Consistency makes team members more comfortable.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I agree with this statement, but I believe it includes much more. Diversity is evident both in privately and professionally. We are exposed to it in all aspects of life. We need to respect it and and also embrace it so that we can maximally benefit from "differences". We must expect that diversity exists. We must seek opportunities to learn about diversity. Much can be learned from the "differences" of others.

Tina,

You make a good point about diversity transcending the professional life of a team member. The personal aspects of diversity typically form a person’s attitudes and values. People learn from a very young age about cultural and ethnic differences. As educators and managers, we have the responsibility to model and embrace diversity.

Dr. Jamie Morley

"The simple concept of diversity is to respect individual differences that are based on cultural values, customs and mores." Do you agree or disagree with this statement. Why?

I agree that diversity is to respect the individual differences. Every person had so many influences in his/her life to make each person unique. In managing your staff it is important to be aware of the individuality to work with that person to foster their strengths, and help them grow. Working with a staff of diverse backgrounds provides me with the opportunity to expand my knowledge and understanding as well.

Suzi,
and by understanding where they come from we can better understand their approach to issues & also understand the strengths they bring.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, I think that you should give the individual a chance if they qualify for the position that they are applying for. that's why interviews are so important, so that you can get to know what that individual is about and if they qualify for the job. never judge a book by its cover. give people the right for a job opportunity.

angela,
this is so true. Clearly there can be legal concerns, but beyond that we need to be willing to give people a chance & hear them out.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment