Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How Different is a Virtual Team?

In my experience the basic similarity was the need for good communication. I was working within my own country so cultural differences were not an issue, but working with another company, learning their business practices and culture was a part of putting together the team.

You still need to look for people that will share the commitment and vision, people with the right skills etc.

Wendi,

You are right on with your last thoughts. We have discussed the subtle differences, but at the end of the day a team, whether virtual or onsite, must understand the overall objective, be clear on individual roles, and focus on meeting the objective in the most efficient manner possible.

In my experience there are some similiarities. It is all about getting the right team together, creating common goals and open communication. I use the same technologies for my ground and virtual teams as well. This way if someone from the ground goes virtual or visa versa the team member is prepared to use the technology.

Tami,

Using the same tools for communication with virtual teams and residential teams is a great strategy. What tools do you use? With the access to free shareware like Skype and free versions of tools like WebEx and GoToMeeting, communicating is getting easier and more cost effective every day!

At the end of the day however, it is all about selecting the right team or managing and training them to become the right team!

Happy New Year!

Dr. Jamie Morley

What are some similarities and differences among a virtual team and a traditional onsite team? What characteristics might both types of teams share?

Sign In to comment