Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Spirit of Collaboration

What is your personal definition of collaboration? What characteristics do you believe are essential to creating and maintaining a collaborative team environment?

Ah, that’s when a meeting ends and everyone is still standing. Ha! No… I hope not. Although there are some days where that would be a success in collaboration.

My view of collaboration is a but skewed toward the macro-view. I tend to see collaboration as the operating of customers (those getting service), actors (such as teachers, staff, etc.), transformation of materials into products/services, worldviews, owner/stakeholder interests, and external environmental factors all blending in as to create and maintain an organization/group able to meet goals and grow. Yet, there is the micro-view as well where people learn to work together and get along as to make the macro-view possible.

So, what would be my elements? Too many to list—communication, a vision, ability to find resources, ability to find and utilize skills, understanding role of everyone involved, and a whole slew of other factors. But, I do think communications and some sense of alignment are critical. When they are absent, all sorts of things go wrong from wasted money to failed projects leading to infighting. So, from my little corner of the world. I really see communication and a common purpose as keys to even just getting a venture or effort off the ground.

Maintaining it is even tougher—it requires a lot of patience, team members to understand their roles and views will evolve with an evolving group, and a willingness for everyone to engage in finding a shifting equilibrium. I think that’s the insanely tough part although it can teach a leader a LOT about their team. It’s also the part I find the most interesting because it really shows what your team can do, how they adapt, and the dynamics that makes them tick.

Steven,
Teams can suprise you too...if given good direction, appropriate and frequent coaching.Many times they will exceed your expectations and have a personal growth spurt.

Ron Obstfeld

Oh, I agree -- no doubt there. I've seen teams of three really take off and run.

Two, not so much -- they tend to stall. My guess it's Bales's AGIL in play where they stall at A or G.

Collaboration is working together through idea sharing and applying crtitcal thinking to accomplish a goal(s) with equal participation to acheive dsired results.

My idea of collaboration is being able to work with others in a professional manner without putting any personal feelings in decision making. Some of the characteristics that I believe are essential are professional respect, the ability to work together for a common goal, sharing the work equally, and not judging or gossiping about what the others in your team are doing or not doing. Having open communication is a must in order to accomlish the goal of the project.

I believe true collaboration includes valuing what everyone has to bring to the table, including their differences in how they work. We use something called the 'platinum rule' which means figure out how others wish to be treated or best receive information. This includes sharing each other's personality types so that we understand each other better in our approach to working together. I believe that it is important for teams to consistently review goals and metrics to keep on track, communicate challenges, be okay with asking for or receiving help. I believe genuine positive reinforcement from all members of the team, not only the leader is important to reinforce in order to create an enthusiastic and motivated environment that is productive

Sign In to comment