Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Activie Listening is Essential

Active listening is a skill that everyone, including our students, need to learn to use on a regular basis. Often times, especially in meetings, people spend more time "thinking" about what they are going to say next instead of listening to what the speaker is actually saying!

When I was in law school, we would practice improvisational comedy to improve our active listening skills - this may be something that will help team-building as well. Improv requires that all participants "listen" closely to what is being said at any given time - to listen in the "now."

Paul ,

SO true. Thanks for the great idea. Improv not only would help the listening skill but would bring some fun into the workplace.

Ron Obstfeld

great idea. Was it difficult to get full participation out of the group?

Im also curious about the participation rate with this. How did it go? This could be a great idea...even with the trades folks I manage!

Improv is a perfect tool thanks for pointing it out, I find that all too often our minds are ready to answer without even knowing the question.

My listrening skills give me challenge, that's for sure.Over the years, I have figured out, more issues have been resolved simply by "listening" to what someone has to say.

Judy,
What do you do to enure you are listening actively?

Ron Obstfeld

I agree to listen in then now is a great idea. It is great challenge for me and One I need continually to practice and instill in others.
Mariann Urbancsik

Listening is important. I find myself getting frustrated when I have a person who rambles on and on, usually with stories of how great they are, or what they did. I haven't figured out how to stop this. I have one employee in particular who does this. It's hard to even focus on what is being said, from this person, most of the time. Help!

Deb,
One suggestion is to meet with particular individual and explain what you have observed and that the consequence is that he/she is losing the audience when they ramble on. Explain you don't want to embarrass he/she in front of the group and devise a signal between the 2 of you when he/she starts to lose focus. This way the person will not be caught off guard and will perceive that you are trying to help make them a more effective communicator.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment