Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resolving Team conflict

Keeping peace is not always an easy task,
When isn't it necessary to try resolving conflicts between two team members?

Ernst Berthony,
If team members are belligerent, uncooperative, combative and/or a determinate to the teams success they should be removed and counseled. However, in most cases differences can be resolved...it may not be to the satisfaction of all team members...but the team can still be functional and productive.

Ron Obstfeld

I find it best to sit down with the conflicting team members and listen to both sides of the story. Then I ask them how this could have been resolved without conflict. Somtimes there is no resolution between obstinate individuals so I refer them to the Academic Dean.

The majority of the time, the team members and I come up with a resolution.

I think when those individuals treat each other with respect and they both have the same vision and goal in mind with their actions. Team members sometimes are not going to like each other and have conflict. Sometimes that can bring out new ideas to the group. If these members can be respectful of each other and their actions are good for the group, then that conflict may not be resolved.

David,
You might consider peer arbitration. This is less treating and just as effective.

Ron Obstfeld

Michael,

Liking each other is not a criteria for team success. Mutual respect, effective communication and leadership IS required for success.

Ron Obstfeld

I think that most team conflicts come from a member of the team does not feel like other team members are listening to what they are saying. It is important to actively listen to all team members and make them feel that you care about their opinion even if you do not agree with it. If team members get out of control they need to be removed from the team and counseled before they return

It isn't necessary to resolve all conflict when the conflict prompts compitition.

I totally agree David with the method of the manager sitting down with each of the conflicting team members and actively listening to their sides. My manager on my day job has always said when dealing with conflicts on our team there are three versions to the truth, both sides of the individuals and what actually took place. My manager was confronted with a situation of two team members and she spoke to each individual one on one privately, took detailed notes of each of their conversations, listened and then provided her perspective on how things should have been handled that would have promoted a resolution and peace within the team. She then had both parties meet with her together and she allowed each party to tell their sides in front of the other to find out what exactly took place. Both team members were respectful and comfortable because they had already been given a chance to relate their versions privately to our manager. My manager also placed both employees in scenarios where they would have been in the other person's shoes and both employees got a better understanding of how each other may have felt. Tears were shed and apologies were given but in this fashion presented by the manager the matter was resolved and unity within the team was restored.

Sign In to comment