Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the most common challenges I have experienced in a group situation is poor time management and feelings of being overwhelmed. My organization is big on "Stretch" assignments and many people sign up for these stretch assignments and wind up losing momentum due to an already overtaxed work schedule.

In addition to this, many people loose their active listening skills when working in ambiguity. They become so closed-minded and unable to see the vision because they become "stuck" on questions that may or may not have answers. As a manager, and hopefully leader, and attempt to identify the areas of concern, note the objections, and ask the team to work past the stalemate by identifying various options and making decisions accordingly. For example, if my team is stuck on a decision because of unknown impact on the budget, we will identify a team member to research the budget impact, and then discuss all available options.

Jamie,
If this is a known result....maybe you or the organization can help people with time management or better align company expectations.

Ron Obstfeld

One the team is tightly controlled and directed by one individual.

I completely agree that Ron's suggestion would be a good way to keep things moving. I quickly feel annoyed with people who do this week after week. Following the meeting I do follow up with the individual letting them know they have a lot to contribute and everyone wants to hear their thoughts, so I encourage them to be more timely.

Having a group member who is not the leader but is headstrong and "bossy". Where I work we are all leaders in our field, so it is very difficult to step back and let someone else lead.

These are great examples of common personnel issues within a team. One of the biggest challenges to a team leader is getting the most out of the team members. Especially if he or she didn't have the opportunity to select the team.

Sign In to comment