Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that leadership is not only a privilege, it is also comes with responsibility.

I have known a few leaders who were excellent at getting people to follow them, unfortunately, they weren't as good at choosing a good direction, and sometimes led their followers off the proverbial cliff. As a leader one has a responsibility to lead in a positive and productive direction.

There is no leadership without followers. Followers put their trust in leaders. The ability to lead is also the ability to mislead. The great leaders I've known have been so with humility, sensitivity, and integrity - truly a privilege.

I certainly agree with your statement. Many believe that simply because they are in a leadership position that that somehow entitles them to being respected. Respect is earned. Being a leader is a challenge as one cannot please everyone alk the time.

Leadership is by far certainly a privelege that should be treated as such. Humility will take you further as those you lead will feel like you understand them better.

Agreed & I also think that if we view leadership as a privielge that must be earned, then we do a better job of thinking about how to continue earning the position.
Ryan

In my opinion, it is certainly a privilege as it allows the leader to have an impact while inspiring others. There are no limits on the passion that someone may have towards a “project” and a vision; however the real challenge becomes on how to do it.

I absolutely agree with this response. Leadership is a responsibility as well as a reward...a privilege in that you earn this title/role through hardwork and/or proven success, and a reward as you are able to help others grow in their chosen careers and roles. Leadership is also a position, given that privileges and rewards come with increased responsibilities. Indeed, a "true" leader is one who has earned this title through actions, since most leadership roles often require longer hours than those jobs of the managed employees!

Yes & much of that privilege exists as others are willing to submit to your leadership & authority as they feel you have an inspiring vision.
Ryan

Great thoughts & I think it's important to remember that while leadership is often viewed as a position, simply holding the position does not make you a leader. You must live up to the expectations of the position & the people around you.
Ryan

I feel people are leaders by virtue of what they do, not the authority they are given or the duty title they hold.

I definitely agree with you, and there is a certain level of power & influence that comes with a "position" that a leader understands how to use effectively.
Ryan

I agree, The great leaders I have known were successful due to the fact they were humble, sensitive,and had great integrity to where others looked up to them truely wanted them as their leader. This takes time and building this kind of trust is a privilege to have.

I agree that it is a privilege. You do not have to be in a leadership position to be a leader and be a positive example to others in your organization. As most others have pointed out, it is a huge responsibility and you have to earn the responsibility and respect that comes with being a leader. Leadership is also an ability and not just something that is handed to you.

Stephanie,
yes, leadership is a developed skill that you must work for & earn.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I believe that leadership is not only a privilege but a responsibility. Our team relies on our support, guidance, mentorship, and encouragement. My team is not just a reflection of us but of our school. It is my responsilibity to communicate well, establish clear and concise expectations, hold myself and my team members accountable, assess progress, encourage my team, and resolve problems as they arise. Therefore, is it really a privilege or an honor to lead? yes but I think it is a responsiblity.

Marie,
you are right that it is a very heavy responsibility & one that must be earned over & over.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that it is a privilege to be a leader and I think it should be earned and trust me experience counts. I also think that dealing in the same environment bring solidification.

Edgar ,
yes, it really is a privilege when other people entrust their "future" to you & your ability to take them there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe that leadership is a privilege but that it is also somewhat of a paradox. The individual who would be a leader must also be willing to be a follower/learner. He must follow the vision as well as the path of helping to facilitate the growth of individuals within the group and the group as a unit.Thus leadership is fueled by sensitivity and feedback. While it is a privilege, it can be consuming hard work.

Thomas,
this is a great synopsis & so true. It has been well said that one must first learn to follow before one can lead.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

After taking this course I would agree that leadership is a privilege. I have been in management for 15 years and successful, but never throught of myself as a leader, since I have more of the manager traits. I just learned that a manager MUST have leadership skills to be successful. Also learning to be positive is a great skill to have.

Sign In to comment