Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lack of accountability

How do you handle a situation where management is also involved in project execution and fail to hold themselves accountable for dropping the ball? In other words, blame the other team members for their mistakes. I have been involved in projects where I and a fellow team member were "thrown under the bus" many times because they failed to complete their phase of the project. It cost us money, resources, and conflicts arose within the ranks.

Christine,

Great question and the key is making sure you have a clear project charter and owners. In my experience it helps to have frequent updates so everyone knows the status of key deliverables and who is accountable. It is an unfortunate political reality that others will attempt to pass the buck

Dr. Eric Goodman

It's true, office politics can play a very important role in accomplishing a project. I have found that when working with large teams who may not know eachother well, that it helps in the very beginning, to have some type of bonding event. This would be prior to the project kick-off. Take the team off-site and have a team-building event. Once people know eachother on a personal basis, they develop a stronger culture and investment in the project. It may seem frivolous, but the results far outweigh the investment.

Cheryl ,

Great points about getting to know others on a personal basis. This is really a key to being able to work effectively!

Dr. Eric Goodman

I have, unfortunately, experienced a situation similar to that you describe, Christine, and do not necessarily know whether I handled it well or not, especially when I was one of the employees who ended up feeling more or less "dumped on." I was a graduate student at the time, and therefore-in many respects-at my advisor's mercy, and unable to confront the situation head on as would normally be appropriate. I try to grow from that experience now, however, especially since I'm in a leadership role at present. Very difficult situation, whose negative effects certainly extended into the workplace.....

Agnes,

That is definitely unfortunate and certainly a challenge when someone has "positional power". At the same time, it is important to recognize other types of power and influence. As you suggested, the control or perceived risk of confrontation may have outweighed the benefit of doing so at the time. As a project manager, managing risk and understanding influence is a critical skill. Sounds like you've had some experiences that will be beneficial in the long run.

Dr. Eric Goodman

I have found over a long number of years that people in higher management positions are very reluctant to accept responsibility for their own mistakes. I think this is a survival instinct for holding on to the precarious positions at the top. I handle this tendency in others by communicating any concerns I have with them in private, never forcing them to have to "save face" in a group. If the concerns are serious and may have consequences for my own position or the welfare of others or the company, I document them in a dated memo and send it by e-mail to the manager, usually after a conversation has failed to resolve anything. I also make sure the issue isn't about my own ego. I can succeed better if my manager succeeds, and I don't have to get credit for every accomplishment. And I'm willing to take the hit if the consequences are not serious for me. In my own management work, I have worked very hard to be honest, collaborative, and accountable. Having to admit I was wrong has never caused me a major problem as a manager. In fact it builds trust and respect. And it's the right thing to do.

Billie Kay,

Thanks for sharing the excellent approach you've developed over the years. Great points about putting the ego aside and allowing others to save face. What most people don't realize is that when you admit a mistake your power and trustworthiness increase.
Dr. Eric Goodman

This is an issue that I see in so many companies. Your team is only as good as your leadership. I find that when a team leader does not show ownership of their errors then most likely the whole team suffers from their consequences. I try to involve my team with all of my positive and negative outcomes. If something goes wrong because of my negligence then I try to own up to it and not destroy my team's morale.

Theresa,

It is great to hear about your willingness to own up to errors! So, while you have that approach I'm wondering what you would do if you had a leader that wasn't willing to do so?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Allowing the team members to self select the responsibilities should hold them more accountable as they have bought into the process

Jordan,
Thanks Jordan and I'm wondering if you need to consider whether they will select the right role?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Sign In to comment