Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Typically,

When composing rubrics I will dedicate one to three criteria concerning the various elements of assignment. However, I will add at least one criterion to my rubrics concerning important additional factors such as grammar and punctuation, APA writing style and minimum assignment lengths.

Generally, my assignment rubrics have an average of four separate criteria.

Dariusz,

It sounds like you have a good system for your rubric development. Emphasizing the importance of grammar and other elements across assignments is a good idea to help students see the connection. Nice job.

When using a rubric, I try to provide structure but allow for creativity as necessary. I outline the broad concept(s) to be applied in the assignment but do get specific in terms of proper (APA) formatting, grammar and spelling. This way, they have some latitude to apply the main ideas but need to pay attention to elements that they should already be able to demonstrate proficiency. I emphasize that poor presentation will distract from quality content so this approach reinforces that idea.

Beth,

Definitely. We want the creativity piece to be there. That's the key to good criteria.

Keep it up!

I use a writing and presentation (separate) rubrics in most of my classes. My headers are usually exemplary, proficient, etc. with at least four levels under each to identify how the rubric compared to their submission which is I discuss in detail before they begin the assignment.

James ,

Sounds like you have the necessary details in your rubric. When you say presentations, do you mean oral presentations? Thanks.

Hello Hannah!

Because most of the schools I have worked at require rubrics, my department has often provided me with a very detailed rubric. While this is useful in creating and assessing assignments in-depth, it can be problematic for students. A rubric that has several paragraphs of description for each criteria is often too detailed and too broad because it is meant to apply to every assignment in the course. In this case, I create shorter task-specific rubrics with a couple sentence description for each item instead of paragraphs. If students want more detail I refer them to the more general department rubric in the syllabus.

Hope this helps!

Christina and Hannah,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. I have found that many times when the rubrics are "provided," they are not "on target" with exactly what needs to be assessed and the criteria are overwhelming to the students. This causes more confusion than help. It's better if they are provided and then the instructor has some ability to alter the rubric to meet the needs of the students/assignment to match the objectives. Thanks!

I agree with you. A rubric's detail will differ based on the material and the assignment for that particular rubric. My rule of thumb is that my rubric fits on a single 8 x 11 page. With a sufficient level of detail, that rubric will have between 5 and 6 categories.

Ronald,

Yes, a rubric can be very simplistic, yet measure the objectives and another one can be more complex. It depends on the assignment and the objectives to be assessed. Thanks!

I personally don't include more than 5-8 pieces of criterion per rubric and offer bullet points for each of the criteria to be more specific and clear about the expectation.

Joseph,

Good point. Too much criteria can cause students to become confused and lose focus. Thanks for your input.

I typically have five areas of criteria within my rubrics. This allows me to make sure my grading is thorough and fair. I also like to give each student a very simple response between 1-2 sentences with feedback. Rubrics can often seem impersonal so I like to add a personal touch to my grading.

Janelle,

Glad you are including all components and have concise, yet good feedback included. Nice job.

Sign In to comment