Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The rubric setup is more beneficial for the instructor than the student because it makes grading student work easier.

Juanito,

The rubric is also essential for the students. It helps them understand the expectations and how to work toward achieving the learning objectives. Thanks.

I think it can benefit both. Rubrics helps to improve student performance. They demonstrate how assignments will be evaluated and expectation for each assignments. Rubric help students to be better equipped to prepare and helps to reduce grading time.

michael,

You are right. It can benefit both the instructors and the students. Nice job.

When I looked up product, process, and performance evaluations on the web, many hits were returned on the use of the assessment of all three in employee evaluations. It follows that student performance evaluations do parallel the processes of employee performance reports. The performance standards for assignments in courses should have a connection to reality and the use of that learning to apply lessons in the “real world.” Following this reasoning, rubrics could incorporate the students ability to attain a specific result, using a logical set of criteria. Their performance on each milestone of the course in terms of completion of assignment requirements will result in the student attaining the knowledge, skills and abilities to do well in the job environment. Rubrics give students the ability to assess where they are now and where they are as they progress through a course of study. They overcome their weaknesses before the “grade.” Instructors use rubrics to identify shortcomings of select students or of the course so that individual and collective weaknesses can be addressed through on point instruction. It is important to grade students on the same basis consistently and I do not see how that can be done without a rubric. I have never used rubrics for students to evaluate students and they generally do not except though comments which are usually positive on the Discussion Board. I can see where that would be a potential use.

George,

Thank you for your detailed response. As we continue to learn from each other through these forum, these details are important. Connecting the discussion boards and other content to the real world will help them understand the content better. Thanks!

Awesome question! I think that it is a mutually beneficial setup for the sole reason that instructor and student can communicate much better than before. There are so many problems that arise in my classroom from confusing assignments and unclear objectives, that this can be very frustrating to both parties involved. The use of a clear rubric does so many things:
- Allows students to understand teacher expectations
- Further explains the assignment
- Gives students topics to focus on as well as stylistic sections of focus
- Provides the instructor with a very clear cut way to grade.
In short, everybody wins!

Erin,

Anything that is mutually beneficial has got to be a good thing. ;-) Thanks for the specifics in your posting. Nice job.

I believe that rubrics are beneficial to BOTH students and instructors! Rubrics have saved me a tremendous amount of time when grading. They helped to keep me focused on what needs to be evaluated. For students, it provides necessary feedback, both positive and negative.

Maria,

You got that right. A tool that helps all involved. What a great thing.

Thanks for your input.

Roshawna,
Properly developed rubrics are beneficial to both the student and the instructor. It helps the student understand exactly what is expected and eases the process of grading. By assigning specific points to specific goals or components, you are able to take some of the subjectivity out of the grading. This also helps you avoid the halo or horns effect with student work.
Melissa

Melissa and Roshawna,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. When we find a tool that benefits all involved (instructor and students), we feel like we've "hit the jackpot." Thanks for your input.

I think if it is done correctly it is equally beneficial to both. I do think it makes grading easier for the instructor but it also lets students know what they need on each criterion to get a specific grade for each one as well as how the different criterion are weighted.

Cindi ,

Definitely. Whenever we have a tool that benefits both students and instructors, we have to be careful when designing it to "be it's best." Thanks!

For me it is both, but more for the instructor.

Kevin,

Hmmm - and I see it really as more for the students. But, the key is that is assists both. Thanks!

Sign In to comment