Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Falling back on the Rubric

When I teach an online course that gives me the option of creating it I take full advantage of it. It is basically a contract with the student and I have it as a back up to avoid any disputes with grades.
JD

Jim,

I agree with you. There are some really creative options to engage and assess students. As with any contracts, both parties have responsibilities.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The rubrics are created, so I do not have an option of doing so, but they are useful nonetheless.
They help students know what is expected of them, and it helps with the consistent grading.
Yes, it is more time consuming, but it is a form of an informal contract of sorts.

Agnes,

Interesting view. I guess it is a contract of sorts. It does provide expectations for both the student and the instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Personally, I do not mind if a couse has a pre-defined rubric. I consider it an advantage rather than a disadvantage. The existence of a pre-defined rubric gives me the opportunity to focus on the parts of a course where I can attempt to maximize the learning outcomes. If I must create a rubric, I think that I have sufficient examples that creating another rubric is not a big issue.

Donald,

I agree with you. There are some great rubric generator that work very well. The students like the rubrics as they know their expectations.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is a great opportunity for every instructor. The rubrics that I use are pre-determined; however, we have the ability to work with the administration to modify the rubric based on the course. I strongly agree that rubrics bring a level of conformity in regards to grade disputes, because the student cannot argue that he/she did not know the class expectations. If the rubric is written in a simplified manner, and we are able to explain further or otherwise amplify what is in the rubric, the student is left without excuse. The advantages of the rubric are far outweigh the disadvantages when we consider all parties involved, and what can be achieved as a result of the rubric.

Aundrea,

You really cover the issues of rubrics. I think your institution is so smart to have comments regarding the predetermined rubrics. It shows their commitment to the assessment process. It should change.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment