Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Flawed Value Added Assessments

While I see a lot of positives concerning value added assessments, I think there is a concerning flaw.

I'm sure we are all aware of people who intentional (or sometimes unconsciously) present themselves deficient in some fashion. This could be financial, intelligence, or relationship. The attention to these areas, rather favorable or not, reassures and encourages the behavior.

If an online student deceptively presents herself as an inefficient writer, she will gain attention and (intentional or not) favoritism as she "improves." Like dangling a carrot to her instructor, the writing skill increases until she surpasses others during the final exam.

The beauty of this flaw is the instructor may be vastly unaware he is lead by a mastermind. He receives what he wants... notable improvement. The student receives what she wants... attention and an "A."

Thoughts on how to guard against this?

Christina,

You pose a great question, I have stopped calling my grading, grading; it is feedback. That is real world talk. I hold them accountable not only for the initial work but for incorporating the feedback. That is the expectation of the real world.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment