Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alternative assessment

Because alternative assessment is conducible to online online, I try to use this with my students. Students being able to evaluate their work and benefit from the evaluation process is wonderful. Great Module!

Heidi,

Thanks, students need to be able to critique and provide constructive feedback as they will do that as professionals. They will also be asked to do self evaluations. They need guidance in this area.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Very true. Thank you again for EL 106!

I have developed several online courses and one of the self assessment(alternative assessment) tools used is the multiple choice exam. The thing I particularly liked about it was that, as a developer, I had to craft feedback as to why the answer they selected was an incorrect answer as well as why the correct answer was the best answer. I think this truly helps students understand the material better and clarifies the concepts. I also helped me become a better creator of exams :)

Sharon,

Wow, that is such a great observation! It does help us create better assessment tools.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have used alternative assessments with graduate students,where I find them to be most productive. I am not sure how an alternative assessment would work when the student body consists of undergraduates.

Donald,

I find it varies based on assignment. I teach only undergraduates and I do mostly project based learning. I also incorporate journal and other types of writing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment