Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Value added assessment

We use value added assessment nearly every day. As students progress through the course,we evalate their improvement in the performance of tasks they will be charged with when entering the work force.

James,

Wow, what a great way to incorporate real world situational learning. That is so interesting.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have been using value added assessment for years with teacher evaluations. My own students use a kind of value added scoring when they evaluate their own portfolios. They are often amazed by how much their work improves in just the time of a single course.

Sarah,

That is such an important point to show students. I use this type of assessment in a technical writing course. Students keep their first papers then compare it to their last papers. They are amazed at the difference in tone and content of their paper. You don't get that type of feedback from just a grade.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson, I also use value added assessment in my legal research and writing course. The first few days of the course the students are overwhelmed with the format of legal writing since it is a new concept. However, by the end of the course, legal writing seems second nature to the students. We also compare their previous writing to their current writing though out the course through the use of rough drafts and constantly improving.

lindsey,

What a great strategy. Many times students don't realize how much ground they cover until they compare their work. Portfolios are good to use in this case.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment