Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Authentic Assessment

Authentic assessments include portfolios, performance, and observations. How have you used authentic assessment in your online course?

I have used portfolios in my online classes. This has worked well. Students were asked to create portfolios based on content material learned during the course of an entire class.

This was an interesting tool that I have not made use of yet in my online class. I intend to become more creative to ensure that students have at least one opportunity to complete an authentic assessment.

Jorell,

Do you find them easy to grade? Do you use rubrics, inquiring minds want to know.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Monica,

Good for you to try this. I suggest you write the objective of the assessment and that you have a rubric to guide your evaluation. Good luck!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In the past, I taught a Photoshop course, and the students were to create work based on the material we covered in class. Students would also vote on their favorite final project and discuss in the forums why they chose what they did and why. It was a great exercise.

Christin,

I agree. I usually have a peer evaluation of a project that they have to evaluate with a rubric they as a group created. It does make them think!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment