Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Subjective evaluation is important

I firmly believe that objective and subjective evaluations are necessary in every class because each offers a level of assessment that gives the instructor a final and accurate picture of the class generally and each student specifically. However, subjective evaluation is important for reasons beyond regular assessments. I found that many students lack the ability to think critically, express themselves in writing, properly structure and organize thoughts, and use proper grammar. While not every instructor teaches English, part of our duty is to ensure that each student is prepared to function in and beyond the class for their overall success. By using the subjective evaluations (i.e. essays, etc.), we are able to help the students develop in these areas so they perform well in the class, absorb the learning objectives, and can be successful in their chosen field of employment.

Aundrea,

This is a powerful post! I too think students need to be able to articulate their learning. Thinking critically is so important. We think about testing as the main way to assess but we can use other ways to assess learning. Students need to stretch their thought process to embed the learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment