Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Summative Assessment versus Formative Assessment.

According to materials read in chapter 2, “Summative assessment occurs at the conclusion of a lesson, project, unit, or course.” It is an evaluative measure design to measure students’ learning relative to the objective/outcome of the course. If the objective(s) of the course are not met then a correction process is worthwhile.
Formative assessment is to monitor students’ learning to provide ongoing feedback. It is a tool to determine students’ strengths and weaknesses and to make immediate correction where necessary. Formative assessment has no point value as compare to summative assessment, thus formative assessment are intermediate goals to reach the overall objective/outcome measure by the summative assessment.

Neer,

Great observations. They are to measure both students learning and our teaching to an extent.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Neer,

Thank you for sharing. I typically provides "points" for formative assessments. When possible, I prefer to use low risk-low reward options.

Sara,

I agree with you. You are just gauging their learning. It is important to use the formative assessment to guide student learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment