Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Subjective assessment

I often use subjective assessment for my online students via written essay type answers. A study showed the value of subjective assessment used in anesthesiology residency e-leanrning ( Chu et. al, 2013).

Reference

Chu LF, Ngai LK, Young CA, Pearl RG, Macario A, Harrison TK. (2013). Preparing Interns for Anesthesiology Residency Training: Development and Assessment of the Successful Transition to Anesthesia Residency Training (START) E-Learning Curriculum. J Grad Med Educ. ;5(1):125-9. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-12-00121.1.

Heidi,

How do you keep your consistency of grading when you use subjective assessment?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Consistency in subjective assessment is hard but reasonable when the guidelines for this type of assessment are outline in the rubric.

I LOVE this question "How do you keep your consistency of grading when you use subjective assessment"!!!! It is one that I have thought long and hard about. Basically I create a very detailed grading rubric. I break down the paper into categories of what I am assessing, for example: (1) Application of ratios and interpretation, (2) Overall Reporting of information, (3) format. Then for each category I determine what shows A work and what shows C work. For example under application of ratios and interpretation for an A I would indicate: The presenter clearly demonstrates that they understood how to accurately calculate and interpret the data in the financial statements. Excellent job in highlighting the reasons for the dramatic changes in the financial statements. Analysis and conclusions were logical and validated by outside resources. I would then share the characteristics of B and C grade work. With the weaknesses being articulated at the C level: The presenter made mistakes in the calculations. Interpretations clearly did not reflect the results of the ratios. Conclusions involved restating information and not supported by evidence. The last thing I do is to share this evaluation template with the students BEFORE they start working on the assignment. There is no benefit in keeping your expectations a mystery. In this way, everyone understands the playing field and they understand what they need to do to demonstrate understanding of the material. One by-product is that it minimizes grade appeals. I have had maybe two appeals in the last 10 years.

Sharon,

What great strategies! You really have put much thought into this. I really like your comment about "no benefit in keeping your expectations a mystery". Expectations need to be shared. Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment