Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tools

How do we integrate the new tools with older students?

This is a great question to think about, especially considering that we have a diverse population online. Do you feel that the learning objectives should be altered to meet the needs of the overall population? It can be challenging to assist the non-technologically savvy students while trying to push the technologically savvy students.
Sharon

Sharon,

In most situations, I would think you could not do that without going through curriculum revision process established by the institution. I do think we have to be realistic about those in online courses. There has to be a certain amount of "tech" skill for the student to work in an online environment. This can be obtained by ANYBODY as long as they have the tools to do it. My concern is when students take an online course that do not have a computer or ready access to the Internet. These students all seem to have the least amount of technology skills. This can be a HUGE barrier.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Raymond,

First you have to hold them to learning them. If they take an online course they have to use the tools. I provide orientations and tutorials for them to learn. I am also available to them for questions and encouragement. I don't change the way I teach based on age or ability. These are online courses and are taught that way.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think we have to be very careful when implementing new tools within the classroom. It's purpose should be well defined and it should come with well documented instructions. Someone should be available to assist students as needed and it's vital that we follow up with them after the fact.

Kimberly,

You make such an important point. You don't want the technology to be the barrier to learning or a problem for assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Another fun question! Maybe these questions are fun because I have spent so much of my academic life working through them :)

I teach graduate adults business students. I actually have been surprise at how adaptive they are. For our capstone class we have employed a business simulation game that evaluates how the students handle the financing, marketing, global distribution network, labor relations, of a newly launching athletic shoe. This is a completely online, objective assessment tool in which students compete against other teams in the class and global MBA teams from other universities. The main issue we run into is that occasionally the students fail to read all the instructions because the assume everything in the game is intuitively obvious...not so. I have been astounded that, although this is a gaming assessment, they have not only embraced it but students coming into the program hear about it and actually look forward to taking that class. Even though technology may come more easily to younger students, I find adult student extraordinarily adaptive.

Sharon,

I love your attitude. Students think that simulations are games and they are not. That is problem. I love that you are using simulations to let them apply what they learn and assess using the tool!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The importance of effective communication in the cannot be overstated.
Communication is central to the teaching process. Some even argue that communication is the teaching process.

Thank you,
Christopher Davis

The importance of effective communication in the cannot be overstated.
Communication is central to the teaching process. Some even argue that communication is the teaching process.

Thank you,
Christopher Davis

Christopher,

I wouldn't go that far but communication is so important. We seem to think the responsibility of communicating is with the instructor when it is just as important for the student to communicate. Communication is as important to learning as it is to teaching.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christopher,

Although the teaching process is a very important part of the teaching process, it is only a part. The teaching/learning process includes content methodology, delivery, and assessment. You must close the loop.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sharon, first I would love to have an interactive game in my tool arsenal. When I taught face to face I used to games quite frequently as I had a power lecture and it allowed my students to stay active and engage during class.
You make a make a very good point. "Even though technology may come more easily to younger students, I find adult student extraordinarily adaptive." I find if my older adults do not have a technology phobia they adapt very well often times better than the younger student whom may be more incline to relay on others. I feel part of my job as a teacher also becomes a counselor in aiding these students to learn basic life skills in order to survive and obtain a job in their chosen field. Jenn

Jenn,

Look to your textbook publisher for interactive games they will have a few, there are also game generators at some k-12 technology areas. Google it. I agree with throw the technical phobia term on "all" adult learners and that is just not the case. Most embrace life long learning and are willing and able (much more so than my traditional students many times) to take it upon themselves to learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think if someone decides to take an online class, there should be a basic computer competency test. I guess what I'm saying is that there should be certain basic expectations. While I do not mind helping out the student with a computer/technical question, I do expect the students to want to learn how to use the computer.

Agnes,

I agree with you. I don't want students to enroll in an online course and find the first barrier is a computer!
I have also had students want me to do their lessons over the phone and avoid the computer. That doesn't work either.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment