Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Merle,

I agree, particularly in the online environment. I do use both but I am concerned with the integrity of the process with some objective exams. (just my opinion)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Nate,

I do agree it is harder for me. Also, I use a variety of assessment tools so I am not completed dependent on a test so I can feel better about the process.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe the better assessment is topical. In Mathematics, I tend to avoid objective tests as I want students to show me their work. However, I do like an objective test if I were to test/drill students for rote memorization.

I also agree and like subjective assessments because it provides a variety of flexibility for an instructor to really provide feedback and gauge if a student has really mastered a particular skill or concept.

Michael,

The assessment can be very different depending on what are the expectations of the objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Adib,

You say the key word in assessment and that is feedback. Both types of evaluations depend on feedback.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that the subjective is a better evaluation as it really does demonstrate the student's understanding. Objective test contain a degree of "luck" in selecting the correct answer. However with the number of students normally in a class and time constraints in grading it is often necessary to use objective testing

As an instructor I feel that the assessing the students knowledge about the course should be within the form of a test provided to the class, having the students apply the process (having students to apply what was learned to a real life situation),and having students to wrote/conduct research on the topic.

I believe that in an online environment there is a place for each. Depending upon the course and the assessment of learners taking the course each have there appropriate place. I use objective when doing assessments on parts of a chapter; while subjective to me enables the student to critically think thus expanding their current understanding of the subject.

Interestingly enough is the fact that certain organizations utilize the Bloom hierarchical level of learning into the national accreditation examinations. Thus, the objective assessments are widely used throughout health science programs. Conversely, subjective assessments are utilized in the individual courses as a means to measure the students level of learning and in meeting the outcomes / objectives of the course. The most important aspect is that of feedback provided by both instructors and students for improvement.

Mark,

Great observations. I agree with what you say as numbers will dictate the type of evaluation. It is also driven by what the student should demonstrate based on objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Breezy,

That is true, it is also important that you assess what the objectives want the students to demonstrate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Monica,

You are right. The online environment does allow for different assessments. How does discussions fit with all of this.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Donna,

Great post! You make a great point. It doesn't make sense about using Bloom's then not using the proper assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Another issue I have found with the objective evaluations (ie multiple choice quizzes) is that even in the online environment, they can cause test anxiety. Therefore the a measure of the student's true learning cannot be evaluated. Also the subjective lets you get to know your students a little bit more.

Ryan,

True, that is why assessments are varied and done often.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

There is a real advantage for using Objective Evaluations. The results are not confounded by difficulty with written expression including grammar, spelling and organizational ability. If Evaluation focuses on knowledge, the Objective Evaluation is superior. However, I will concede that if the learning to be measured requires knowledge to by analyzed and synthesized, then the Subjective Evaluation would be superior. Am I going against the current zeitgeist?

DAVID,

Not at all! There is no right or wrong way to assess with objective or subjective instruments, it is about fit. Does the assessment fit the measurement of an outcome. I think you are on the right assessment path!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

DAVID,

Not at all! There is no right or wrong way to assess with objective or subjective instruments, it is about fit. Does the assessment fit the measurement of an outcome. I think you are on the right assessment path!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment