Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diagonostic Assessment / Pre-existing skills

This area is of particular interest to me based on my experiences. It seems that there are many students who have trouble in the area of grammar (proper sentence structure, punctuation, spelling, etc.). It seems that the students must first master the skills in English / Language Arts before matriculating into core major courses. Without this, the student's ability to perform at the expected (and reasonable) level will not be satisfied, and the student's grade will suffer, not to mention the onset of frustration by the student and instructor. A few other instructors have shared the same issue, and we find ourselves having to perform some type of remedial training based on those informal formative assessments that occur during the term. The entire teaching team or institution should make an effort to ensure that every student is indeed prepared to move into more demanding work unique to their chosen field of study by first covering the basics and ensuring that the student has mastered those basics. Otherwise, we are left to handling those issues ourselves for the sake of the student's pending success in the class.

Aundrea,

This is such a great post with such insight. I agree with you no matter the method of deliver students have to be able to do basic English (and reading). In my college, we developed a writing style guide that is embedded in all of our online courses (and f2f) to help reinforce the same grammar values.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Mrs. Cudjoe
You are very correct in your assessment. I have noticed many students writing in slang wording. I have asked for some students to please use spell check.Now for grammar , many of my students I try to send them web pages or books that will help them correct the small errors. It does bring down grades a few points.

Mr. Navarro,

It seems that you have a good resource for this particular type of issue. Which books or web pages do you refer to your students to correct the small errors?

Very true. Several students who have the desire to learn often struggle with English.

Juan ,

If you want them to write in proper grammar hold them to the expectation and model the expectation. I actually have sent back emails from students with poor grammar and them rewrite it. This is a professional skill. I also have the expectation in my syllabus. It is so important!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Richard,

How do you help them with this gap in skills? Do you have online/technology options to help them close the gap to be successful in learning?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I can totally relate, as I am an English teacher also. We do expect the students to enter college comp classes knowing how to write an essay, don't we? Don't ever assume! Our first day is a learning experience, for both of us!

Hi Aundrea,

I completely relate to this. I find it difficult to see students matriculate into other courses and struggle because of their lack of skills in grammar and comprehension. Diagnostic assessments can certainly come in handy when attempting to identify students who need additional help in this area to ensure their future success.

Paula

Sign In to comment