Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Summative Assessments for both

Instructors are responsible for delivering any content that will be on a quiz so if the majority of the class does not do well it would certainly reflect the instructors delivery content or methods.
Jim

Jim,

This is no different in any teaching environment. Students don't want surprises on the test. I do have problems with providing a study guide, if the learning material is aligned with the objectives students should know what is on the exam.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I created study guides for my students. Since they have been using them, I have seen a drastic increase in test scores.

Roshawna,

I have mixed feelings about study guides; particularly with college students. Students need to determine from the materials from the course and the objectives of the course what they need to know and comprehend. They don't always make those connections.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Kelly I agree with you about providing a study guide. In my course each week we have specific readings and information that we discuss. Each weekly test is based on the weeks readings so I often ask myself why use a study guide. I feel I have guided them throughout the week so it now its their turn to study the material. I'm not sure if study guides are helping the overall summative assessment.
Thank you

Kimberley,

You and I are on the same page! I do have a colleague that gives re-occurring quizzes that provide context to the students learning. The students like it as it frames their course prep and she likes it as she can look for gaps in the learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that students when preparing for recall types of activities where quizzes and testing are used a study guide helps to reinforce weekly learning objectives. I don't believe however that study guides are especially useful in helping students to prepare for higher level of learning assignments.

Jim, On its face I believe this statement to be true. Do you think however, that other factors effecting a class could come into play? Things such as a lack of strong mastery of pre-requiste information? How about students who come from a specific background? I think that there are many reasons for students not performing well on quizzes, including the instructor's delivery of content. I would want to look at other instructors teaching the same class with the same quiz and evaluate the results. If students performed better in one section with one instructor and not so much in another section, with a different instructor - I would want to evaluate the differences? What is occurring in the class that is performing well that is not occurring in the class not performing well. In my opinion, this analysis gives a better picture of both student and instructor performance.

Mary Kay,

I agree with you. This is more of a personal opinion but I think study guides become a crutch. The textbook is a study guide, the video recordings are study guides. I want student to know that all time they spend in the class is purposeful.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Mary Kay,

What a great post. I do think students to always think they will need content from one course will be used in another course. That can be an issue. I also find students underestimate the time and the effort any course takes to be successful.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment