Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interesting observation

While doing a bit of research on the topics I saw the following quote, what is your opinion about what the author said?

"Assessing learning alone is not sufficient because the ultimate success of students is also dependent upon their motivation and commitment to learning."

James,
I do agree with it because we build learning upon learning. The new Bloom's has a new dimension learning about learning which is interesting.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think a students motivation is important for their success.

Lisa,

I agree when the design is student centered students have to find ways to motivate themselves and we have to facilitate the process.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think students need to see the relevance of what they are learning. If they cannot make the connection, then it's harder to motivate them.
Of course there are always the students who will go an extra mile because of their dedication and high commitment, and there are the ones that require a bit more effort.

Agnes,
I agree. Are traditional students are taking on the characteristics of the adult learning who wants to know the connection.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The problem with determining an individual's motivation and commitment to learning is that it is difficultto get inside a person's head. In my opinion, an individual's intent is far easier to ascertain than an person's motive.

Donald,

True, and we don't know the complexity of life a student must go through. I have used the discussion of opportunity costs when you have to take a course and you don't put your effort in it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I tend to agree with this statement for the most part, but there are two sides to every coin. The motivation and commitment of the student to the learning process can be determined by various and overriding external factors (i.e. family obligations, work, illness, etc.). However, I have noticed that many students rise above life's circumstances in order to meet their educational goals. Assessment in this type of circumstance allows us to see how well the students absorb the learning objectives of the class based on ability. It is when life's circumstances overwhelm the student's ability to indulge the educational process as they should, that we are unable to truly assess their performance/progress based on class concepts, because external factors hinder their ability to absorb the material rather than some other issue unique to the educational process (i.e. low reading or mathematical ability, etc.).

Aundrea,

Great post and food for thought. All different types of variable of a student can impede student learning. I also look at Maslow's theory as it holds true.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment