Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Formative Assessment

Formative assessment is critical in online programs. I am aware of the need to be using such assessment to better understand my students' ongoing progress; thus I am able to modify lessons to improve from assessment results. The value of formative assessment programs are noted in randomized control trials (BMC Med Educ, 2014).

Reference
Palmer, E., & Devitt, P. (2014). The assessment of a structured online formative assessment
program: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Med Educ. 14:8.

Heidi,

You make a great point that many instructors are aware; and that is the importance of using formative assessment as a way to improve teaching. That is a part of assessment also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Heidi, I would agree with you. I teach in five week sessions online and formative assessment it critical. In a five week session there is so little time to lose that, I find that I often touch base with students by providing feedback on drafts of homework and using the discussion boards to ensure that the students understand the concepts.

Sharon,

In a five week session doesn't give your students much time to procrastinate. You have to really work at providing good formative feedback for students to improve. You really do have a good strategy to do that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sharon,

I also teach five week courses; they're fully online. I provide feedback within 24-72 hours. I recommend the same practice to all of my online faculty members.

Sara

Sara,

Five week courses are tough!!! By the time students and the instructor develop a connection the course is over. You really must provide feedback quickly. On the other hand, it is important students know they have to be quick also!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment