Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Attention

How do you as professor maintain a high level of engagement?

Raymond,

One, I make sure that students understand that this is an important part of the course. There are points tied to engagement and participation. Two, I practice what I preach, I engage with students, provide them examples and use the LMS do help me determine students interactions not only with people but with the content. Three, students know they have responsibility to engagement and I will hold them to it. That engagement includes with me and with other students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I try to provide a lot of feedback and ask open-ended questions that prompt them to have to reply to me. Once I open the door to frequent communication I remind them to post their profile on the discussion board so they can get familiar with other students. I also reassure them that I'm always available and open to questions.

Kimberly,

Great strategies. You have to set the tone for communication. Once they realize the importance and the accountability they will engage.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that once I show the students I take them seriously and I do care, they start engaging more. Most of them.
In an online environment it takes a few days. Once the students realize I respond to all the questions and I keep the communication open, it helps increase the level of engagement, and it does boost students' motivation.

Agnes,

Isn't it sad that students don't trust us. It is interesting in we have to prove ourselves when students really should do the same. Do you thing a learning contract would help establish rules of engagement. We have to change this. We are not the enemy of the student!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I concur! Some students just need you to empathasize with them or their situation.

Derrick,

True, you become the counselor as well as the instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment