Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Formative vs Evaluation

Formative assessment is very important. It lets you know whether or not the group needs every basic detail of an operation. If they are more experienced,they may require the main steps to achieve an objective.
Evaluation is to test them on operations required to complete the course.

James,

I am not sure I understand your post. Do you see a difference between assessment and evaluation?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that diagnostic assessment can really fill this role. Formative can help you to see if they're catching on and whether you should stop and give more detail about a particular step.

Krystal,

Good point. That diagnostic assessment does give a snapshot of their current knowledge and/or skill attainment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I teach accounting and find diagnostic assessment to be critical in my classes. Often I have individuals who have experience in accounting and others who are absolutely phobic about accounting. Consequently I can arrange teams, and facilitate student learning if I conduct a diagnostic assessment at the onset of the course. Thereby pairing those students who have some knowledge of accounting with those who know absolutely nothing.

Sharon,

What great strategies! It also develops that sense of community that is so important. You could write an article regarding your strategy. Just a thought. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment