Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment

I serve as the Assessment Coordinator for the English Department at a state college. I am very aware of assessment, tools utilized, and how important the results are from using the various assessments. It is very important to determine the best assessment tool for the course. I use a rubric for the assessment of our research papers. By distributing the rubric, the assessment of the research papers by our department goes smoothly and determines end results for me.

Darlene:

I use a rubric for my grading as well. This provides students with an advance look at requirements and gives them the ability to see more clearly how I will be scoring their assignments. Even aspects such as "good flow" and spelling errors and APA formatting with criteria such as title page and reference page are included along with specifics pertaining to the particular assignment.

Suzanne

Some rubrics are furnished with course materials and resources, and I find that they need tweaking to match my style and learners' individual needs.  I have been known to develop a rubric with student's assistance.  In one instance, it was particularly effective for students to be involved in the creation of a rubric because it prompted them to read a project description and pick out the specific requirements to be assessed on the rubric. 

I have also found a rubric to be effective when the assignment involves the delivery of both Fact and Opinion in addition to creative skills such as developing a professional PowerPoint presentation.

DT

Sign In to comment