Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reflective journals

I saw a previous comment by an instructor about reflections journals, I think these are great tools for learning, after all, are we not interested in how the student can make sense out of what they are learning and put it to use?

James,

True, what would be important to assess i a reflection journal and how would you do it?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I often feel that reflective journals are perhaps more appropriate as an assessment tool at the program level than on a one course basis. In education ePortfolios were designed to demonstrate the growth of the student throughout their time in the educational program. In this way the student can evaluate how their perspectives evolved, gauge their learning, and reflect on where they want to go from here in the academic development. I teach in a graduate business program and feel that that the portfolio is also a wonderful way to demonstrate to potential employers the skillset of the student.

Sharon,

You make a great point. I do think many times, reflective journals can be busy work if not developed and assessed appropriately. Many times I see them more of "what I did last summer" work. I agree with you it is more of a holistic way of evaluating a student.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I absolutely agree. Digital portfolios are a great tool, and perhaps one of the best tools in order to determine student progress. As any given term progresses, I can read the thoughts and responses of my students. This is a great way to see if they are able to implement those points and objectives that were taught in the class for purposes of improvement. I am able to see how well can answer a question that perhaps was a major struggle early in the class. This provides an overall perspective of student progress and knowledge.

Aundrea,

I am with you! I also like for students to see each other's work. I have used padlet.com for some of mine; what have others used?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think reflective journals can be a good tool to use in a group project based assessment. You can see each student function and role in the group in order to complete the tasks as well as their ideas within and separate from the group. With a few guided questions along the way,the data gain can better help the instructor create projects that can test different group dynamics and also help the student in her total learning process.

Thank you

Kimberley,

I use them often. I teach a writing course and I have students create a journal by reading my evaluation of their paper and using the journal to tell me what they are going to work on their next paper. I call it the Writing development journal.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello,
Reflective journal's are great tools for students who enjoy writing about how their day is going, what they want to accomplish, how well they did, whether or not they can improve, etc. Thanks

Compreca,

You are right. I am using journaling as a way to look at feedback and then decide how they are going to use the feedback to improve their next assignment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment