Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

technology tools

Technology tools are very important for a solid online course. In my health science courses I use technology tools and references for online resources most appropriate for this population. Technology tools are very crucial for the success of online courses for medical students (Han, Nelson, & Wetter, 2014).

Reference

Han, H., Nelson, E., & Wetter, N. (2014). Medical students' online learning technology needs.
Clin Teach. 11(1):15-9.

Heidi,

True, what technology tools do you use for student learning specifically for your med courses.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In an age where we differ significantly in the technology used and the levels of capability with that technology, how can we determine if our students really don't understand the material or simply failed to be fluent enough in the technology to answer effectively. For example, I had students, who unfortunately failed to tell me, could not access the chat. In the chat I had specific examples of the homework. Had they been able to access the chat, rather than 'winging'it, they would have done much better on the homework.

Sharon,

Wow, you have posed a very interesting and important question. This happens and happens often. I have had instructors tell me they have had students to take courses online that don't have access to a computer and the Internet. You may want to create an opening video that describes the types of technology you use and their (students) responsibility regarding learning and particularly assessment. It is a great way for students to "meet" you and your expectations!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I very much like your idea of creating an opening video. The comparative competency on various technology is something that education and business is experiencing with their students/employees.

Oh my, how difficult. Good idea for creating an opening video.

Sharon,

It will help you develop a relationship as well as walk them through your course. I is an efficient workload tip.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think one of the best places to start to prevent this issue is an orientation course that familiarizes the student with the level of technology and tools that will be used in the virtual classroom. By the end of the course, the activities and assignments will prepare the student for their program and prevent them from coming back later to say that were unaware of the requirements.

Christopher,

I agree with you. Hopefully the institution provides one and everyone is using the same technology. That isn't always the case so it is important the instructor to provide one. I do have my own orientation of the "way I do things" I find this set them at easy and introduces them to me.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I use technology all of the time, but then I learned how to program computers in 1974. Most people these days know absolutely nothing about programming. These days, I only use the tools that I have to, and nothing else. My expertise in computing has gone down, but then again, I think that as the middle class has been decimated financially, collective technology knowledge in this country has also declined.

Donald,

Interesting point. I do think our technology know how is vastly different than what many of us started with . We knew depth. Now we don't but I don't feel pushed to know it. Students don't have the problem solving skills we had as a result of our technology skill set.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment