Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment Tools

It is so important for students to demonstrate their understanding of a course, especially when the course is a prereq to another course. Regardless, classes should have some sor tof end assessment to determine if the student has the learning necessary to be proficient in the course topic.

Samantha,

You are right. You have to have tools that work to provide that assessment. We had an incident in our state where the state test for high school students will all be "scrapped" because they had problems with the computers. It is a waste of over $3M.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think it can be difficult to know if a student is truly proficient in a topic. Some students are really good test takers--they know how to pick the right answer regardless of whether or not they know how to apply the material in a real-world application. I think it can be difficult to know if they can do this, but I'm not sure what we can do to find out, either.

Krystal,

Does it have to be a test? When we talk assessment we have to look at more than tests as assessment tools.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I dont really think that an end of the course assessment is the right tool to see if the students really learned all the information provided in the course.

Jeanelisse,

How would you determine if the student met the objectives of the course?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree assessment tools are critical to determining if a student is learning the information and if your delivery methods are working for all students. I normally try to provide a variety of delivery methods and a variety assessment options to ensure each student has the opportunity to learn and respond through multiple types of learning and assessment methods.

Christopher,

You are on the right track for assessment. It is so important to provide variety assessment options and multiple assessment points regarding specific content. One question or assessment options doesn't always measure mastery.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment