Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not only would an assessment before a course be helpful for the student, I think it would be a great tool for the instructor.
As mentioned in this module, every student comes to the "classroom" with different skill sets. An assessment before the class starts would give the instructor a better idea of what he/she has to deal with ... with every student.
The assessment at the end of the course would also help both student and instructor see any progress that was made.

Sue,

Great point. It does allow you to individualize how you communicate with the student based on their skill set.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Letrice,

I currently, work in the fourth largest school district in the United States; as a result, my district is very heavy with respect to data. Instructionally, I have concerns about the effective use of pre and post exams. Many times if the pretest is aligned to the course then it will serve as guide to inform students of what the learning outcomes are of the course. However, for the purpose of data analysis, a teacher should use the pretest as a tool of how to make adjustments to the instructional delivery of the class. Primarily, because if an instructor notice that there is a content that most students have already mastered, that is probably an area that should not be a heavily address in the instructional module.

What’s important to remember about the essence of data, is we have to know what is the question that we are focusing on. More importantly, with data analysis there is so much information that could be taken from an assessment. I am just concerned that with having students’ progress monitor from a pretest is going to only put the focus of learning outcomes that are on the pretest; thus developing a test-prep like educational experience and not real learning.

Just Thoughts,
Anna

Hello Ben,
I totally agree with that statement. That was the concern of my initial response. The way technology has given us access to real-time data is outstanding; however the preparation of how to effectively use the data to drive instruction is where we lack as an educational community at large.

Anna

Anna,

Interesting thought! Yes, we become so driven by the data we forget we are dealing with people trying to learn. Although we are measuring learning outcomes we are measuring people learning outcomes.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Anna,
Interesting. I agree with you. We have to use the data responsibly. That is the key. Data driven decisions are still about people.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Anna,
Interesting. I agree with you. We have to use the data responsibly. That is the key. Data driven decisions are still about people.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is a great idea. I work with adult learners and using pre-post tests is a good way to assess what they know--or don't know--so the course/class/lesson can be tailored to individual needs. But what if the post-test score is lower than the pre-test score?

Dr. Vicki,

Wow, that is a scary thought! If we are truly teaching in a student centered, it has to be student responsible so students will have to be responsible. What you would do is to have short "post test" along the way to make sure learning is on track. You can have multiple formative assessment as post test to ensure the path of learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree, I think students taking an assessment or completing a questionnaire before a course could be very helpful. It can help you understand how a student learns, if they are self- motivated or if they feel overwhelmed at school. Good idea.

Wenda,

That is true. it also allows you to create differentiated learning by pooling your multimedia resources.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment